Favourite WWII wargames unit

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Favourite WWII wargames unit

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

All the other forums have threads like "what's your favourite panzer?" I find them really dull, HOWEVER....

What's your favourite WWII wargames unit? I always liked 21 PzDiv in Normandy, as the vehicles were fun enough to allow me to spend hours scratch-building or converting, and they baffled opponents when they were trundled out onto the table. On the minus side, they were all rubbish once in combat, and didn't last long once the shooting started.

So, what's yours??
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
DXTR
Contributor

Post by DXTR »

Hmmm..... I have allways enjoyed the Rudel air unit in WIF. Or the Dora/Karl artillery unit. They really add points to the attack... only downside, is that the rudel counter have so limited range... the ruskies know where they are to strike.... but on the other hand neither Dora/Karl nor Rudel have helped me in wining the war in russia
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Graf Zepplin/Scharnhorst battlegroup for 1/1200th waterline gaming. Those Stukas really reach out and give them the message!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

No, as in the aircraft carrier.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
papagolfwhiskey

Re: Favourite WWII wargames unit

Post by papagolfwhiskey »

It varies each time I try to put together an army list for a game/tourney.

That said I have to say my third hand Stuart is my current favourite.

Flames of war uses a points-buy system to set a 'level' for the playing feild and the makers (battlefront) release 'intelligence breifings' list what you can and can't buy for a company based around a given larger formation. ie 'Grenadiers' have a different menu than 'panzergrenadiers' who are different again from 'Panzerkompanie' and the whole lot REALLY different from the lists given for other nations' armies.

One of the things a 'grenadier' company can buy is a 'looted panzer'. basically you get to pick one tank from the Russian Tank Company HQ menu and crew it with germans.

one of the picks on the russian HQ menu is a lend lease M31 stuart.

This tank is incredibly cheap points wise. and counts as an entire platoon (bad news if you lose it since platoons lost are what are counted for victory points)

But it's fast and can be festooned with machine guns. and against any unit that only has small arms or lacks a 'tank assualt' capability it still counts as a tank.

I love it becuase it's a throwaway unit (30pts out of 1500 or 1750 pts for the entire army) but has the ability to zip accross the board and act as a spoiler. I send it against unprotected units in my opponents back field (like artillery and mortars) forcing him to redeploy assets to deal with it or take out of proportion losses from his support units. ( a nebelwerfer battery for example by comparison can cost over 200 of the same 1500 to 1750 pts.)
Paul_9686
Associate

Re: Favourite WWII wargames unit

Post by Paul_9686 »

Give me a company-size outfit of Panther F's with working stereoscopic rangefinders, night-vision gear, plenty of POL, and trained crews, and I can take on anything the Allies can throw at me! :D

Yours,
Paul