Help with soldier photo medal identification

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

vellocino

Help with soldier photo medal identification

Post by vellocino »

Hi, can someone help me ID the rank, regiment of this soldier and the medals on his tunic. He shows a peculiar cloth medal below the EK1 looks like a pour le merite cloth medal, but I might be mistaken since I am a novice historian and small collector. He has an impressive 9 or more ribbon bar and what it looks like a Knight’s Cross with Swords of the Hohenzollern House Order on his collar. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Sincerely
Vellocino
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Help with soldier photo medal identification

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Vellocino!

Your officer wears the cloth breast badge of the Johanniterorden below his EK I.What I can judge from his shoulder boards, I'd say he was a Major since I can't see a pip indicating Obersleutnant. Here's a link for some information on german Officers belonging to the Johanniterorden...

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28878

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
vellocino

Re: Help with soldier photo medal identification

Post by vellocino »

Thank you for your response Krosspell, I wasnt aware of the existence of this christian organization that so many officers during both wars belonged to it, and the important role that some of them played on the high hierarchy of the german armed forces during WWII, besides their participation on the assasination atempt on Hitler on 1944. They really weighed their duty as christian and patriots for their country in such challenging times.
Thank you again for sharing you knowledge to others.
Vellocino