Führer Begleit Bataillon Narwa

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

olkani

Führer Begleit Bataillon Narwa

Post by olkani »

Hi
I'm searching for informations about Führer Begleit Bataillon Narwa by the battles around Narwa.
I have the Panzerkampfgruppe Strachwitz Book in which were some nice Pictures happy.gif.
But I'm a Little confused if it was realy Führer Begleit Bataillon or Führer Grenadier Bataillon?I have read that it was renamed from Begleit to Grenadier Bataillon in Feb. 1944.
My mainly interest goes for the Panzer IV's there.It seems that there were various types and some were updated with Skirts(No.534 earlyer G type with two-picece hatch comander coupola but with late style sideskirts)
I would like to know if there is any source for this unit(books,web etc.)
Perhaps someone here has some informations for me?

Cheers Oliver
Charlie645
Supporter

Re: Führer Begleit Bataillon Narwa

Post by Charlie645 »

Hi Oliver,

The unit you are interested in was definitely the Fuhrer-Begleit-Battalion. See Volume 2 of Helmuth Spaeter's "History of the Panzerkorps Grossdeutschland", Chapter 4, pages 283-286. During this Narva Operation the unit was also known as Kampfgruppe Boehrend and included some additional assets from the Fuhrer Flak battalion. The unit included one panzer company with Panzer IVs, but the only pictures I know of are in the Strachwitz book you already have. I hope this helps.

Charlie645