212th Volksgrenadier Division

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

eolson

212th Volksgrenadier Division

Post by eolson »

I've seen information that the 212th Volksgrenadier Division was assigned to participate in the Ardennes Offensive. What type of equipment we're they assigned?
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: 212th Volksgrenadier Division

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello Eolson,

I guess you mean weapons? To be able to answer your question... how much do you know about german weapons?
Is it sufficient that you know they had the standard equipment or shall we explain the various weapons?

regards,
Christoph
eolson

Post by eolson »

Lots of small questions here:
Did they have STG-44's, K98's or MP-40's. Where they an infantry unit or an artillery support unit? How many guys would have a Pazerfaust or Panzershrek? Typical ammo load out for each soldier, officers usually carry P-38 or would there be a Luger or two?
Would they be attached to an armor group? What kind of vehicles would they have to use? If they were an artillery support or an artillery unit, what heavy equipment did they use?
Were they issued winter camo?

Thanks much,

Eric
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Volksgrenadier divisions were infantry formations formed mostly from destroyed or disbanded infantry divisions to form a battle experienced core.
They had a lower manpower than a regular infantry division but were slightly different organised and equipped with more automatic weapons to raise firepower (e.g. Stg-44)
Yes, they had all standard weapons like K-98, MPi-40. I don´t have the number of delivered Stg.44 at hand now but the VG-divisions were equipped with them. Officers were equipped with a sidearm (pistol) (no sidearm in combat formations later in the war) of a wide variety of producers (there was usually no conformity) AND a MPi or a Stg. depending on the unit he was in.
I am sure you will find the basic ammo issues here on the forum or on AHF.. I don´t know them by heart at the moment.
The Grenadier company did not have organic Panzerschrecks as they were provided by a "Panzerschreck" company in the AT-battalion. Panzerfäuste were issued like ammunition as needed and depending on the situation.

The 212.VGD was organised with
316., 320, 423 Volksgrenadier Regimenter
212.Füsilier Regiment
212.Volks.Artillerie Regiment
Aufklärungskompanie 1212 (bicycles)
Panzerjägerabteilung 212 (mot)
Flak Abteilung 212
Pi.Btl.212
Nachrichten-Abt.212
and various supply units

The division was subordinated to LXXX.Korps (no armor group or Korps). Vehicles used was everything with wheels able to move.. At this time the german army was scratching together the last reserves.
The artillery regiment was equipped with a mixture of the german standard guns 10,5cm and 15cm together with 7,5cm AT guns.

/Christoph