Markings for 5 PZ Div Recon Batt. Greece April 1941?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

occy

Markings for 5 PZ Div Recon Batt. Greece April 1941?

Post by occy »

Hi all,

I would GREATLY appreciate any assistance with advice on markings for a 5th Panzer Division Reconnaissance Battalion BMW R12 motorcycle with sidecar combination for OPERATION MARITA - the invasion of Greece in 1941.

The reason for my question is that I am currently working on a BMW R12 (no provenance known) for a major military museum display and wish to confirm my findings with other early Second World War Heer researchers.

Apart from the overall German gray finish, I would like to know any particular unit tactical signs that may have been used. I hate to assume (my Infantry NCO background knows it makes an Ass out of U and Me!) that the 5th PZ just used the standard ones and find out later that they didn't for some reason! I understand that a yellow "X" was what the Division was using circa April 1941.

In particular any historical photographs or diagrams/references would be very helpful for my project (we are also putting a DAK Kubelwagon on display with this project).

Detailed 'finished product' images of the installed BMW R12/sidecar will be privately provided to individuals for any assistance rendered if you wish. Being a weapons and uniforms Curator I am naturally very keen to get the best result with this display.

Thank you kindly for your time and assistance with my request, the people here at Feldgrau.net have been recommended to me by a work colleague - he informed me that the community here is well known for being very helpful, professional and friendly.

Best regards,
Occy
--
"If you can't be good. . .be good at it!"