Rank Abbreviation Question

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

DennisH

Rank Abbreviation Question

Post by DennisH »

Today I attended the "Volkstrauertag" (National Day Of Mourning) ceremony at the Fort Custer, MI National Cemetery, where 26 German POWs from WWII are buried. On one of the headstones was the rank abbreviation "OBWN" that I'm sure stands for "Ober_someting." I've never seen this one before, and my old friend and former Luftwaffe Hauptmann, Hans, was also unfamiliar with that abbreviation. I've searched several forums and come up empty. Anybody know what this abbreviation stands for? The headstone was specifically for a member of the Heer who died at Ft Custer during the war.
Many thanks!
DennisH
CAPT (0-6), USN (Ret)
"Beware the Fanatic"
Richard Schoutissen
Associate

Re: Rank Abbreviation Question

Post by Richard Schoutissen »

DennisH wrote:Today I attended the "Volkstrauertag" (National Day Of Mourning) ceremony at the Fort Custer, MI National Cemetery, where 26 German POWs from WWII are buried. On one of the headstones was the rank abbreviation "OBWN" that I'm sure stands for "Ober_someting." I've never seen this one before, and my old friend and former Luftwaffe Hauptmann, Hans, was also unfamiliar with that abbreviation. I've searched several forums and come up empty. Anybody know what this abbreviation stands for? The headstone was specifically for a member of the Heer who died at Ft Custer during the war.
Many thanks!
Could be a misspelling or typo of OBWM = Oberwachtmeister
DennisH

Re: Rank Abbreviation Question

Post by DennisH »

Richard - Thank you for your reply. I was thinking same - a misrepresented "M" for OBWM as you stated, but I thought maybe there was something I was missing. When I examined the headstone I got on my hands & knees to really run my fingers over the letters to make sure I wasn't seeing other than what was actually there. Some stone carver made an error!
Auf Bald!
DennisH
DennisH
CAPT (0-6), USN (Ret)
"Beware the Fanatic"