Heer Jagd-Kommandos - Purpose?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

hucks216
Contributor

Heer Jagd-Kommandos - Purpose?

Post by hucks216 »

Hello,
I have a wehrpass to a member of 3 Jagd-Kommando and I was wondering if any member can inform me what purpose this type of unit served? I have seen the entry on Lexikon but it doesn't really cover the operations. Were these Jagd -Kommandos used for anti-partisan operations behind the front line or did they have another purpose? I know that 3 Jagd-Kommando was eventually incorporated into the 205th Infantry Division which is borne out by the entries in the wehrpass.
Any information is appreciated.
hero.
Supporter

Re: Heer Jagd-Kommandos - Purpose?

Post by hero. »

Hello hucks216 !

According to Tessin, Vol.1, the Jagd-Kommandos 1-9, 11, 12, were formed in winter 1941/42 for anti-partisan warfare.

While Jgd.-Kdo.3 was incorporated into 205. ID end of May, 1942, most of these units (or at least parts of them)
were around that time restructured into Jagd-Btl. and then Jäger-Btl. and at some time in 1942 (September ? )
they even received a Pz.Jg. Kp.

In spring 1943, such a Jäger-Btl. consisted of :
- staff with staff company (incl. engineer- and signal-platoon)
- 3 companies, each with with 10 l.MG, 2 Gr.W.,
- heavy company with 2 light Inf.How., 4 l. Flak, 3 s.PzB., 2 l.MG, 6 s.MG,
- mot. Pz.Jg. company with 9 l.MG and 9 s.Pak.
[taken from Zwischengliederung 1942/43, Sturmpanzer-site]

In my oppinion, this Gliederung would be more appropriate for a mobile task-force,
to stop enemy breakthroughs supported by armor, instead to engage in anti-partisan warfare ?!
So maybe, their purpose changed, but at this moment, that is just my interpretation.

Best regards,
hero.
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Thank you for the extra information Hero, I appreciate your input.
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello !

Just three additional remarks to those Jagd-Kommandos, Jagd-/Jäger-Batl. :

1.) I forgot to mention the important point, that all this units were equipped with ski for winter-mobility.

2.) I found a piece of information that might underline the task force "thesis" 8) :
In October 1942, the staff of Pz.Gren.Brig. 19 was ordered to be dissolved. This order was halted and
instead this staff took command of a number of this independent Jäger-Btl. to form a "Stab/Stossgruppe (Oberst) Källner"
under the command of Oberst Hans Källner. This unit was from Nov. 1942 subordinated to the 4. Armee and
from February, 11th, 1943, mainly under 2. Pz.Armee.
From April, 1943, it was renamed as "Kampfgruppe (Oberst) v. Manteuffel" [but this is Günther, not to be confused
with Hasso] and took part in "Zitadelle" under the 9. Armee.

3.) The organizational "fate" of those units :
- The former staff of Pz.Gren.Brig. 19 and the Jäger-Btls. 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 were used to form 1. Ski-Jäger-Brigade
from Sept. 1943 onward, which was finally expanded to 1. Skijäger-Div. on June, 2nd, 1944.
- Jäger-Btl. 1, 10, 13, 14 were dissolved and incorparated into Infantry Divisions.
[The above data are compiled mainly from Tessin]

4.) And after having written it all down and looking for some additional information on Stossgruppe Källner/Manteuffel
I discovered, that most of this infos have been covered in a reply by Leo Niehorster several years ago :roll: :
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16376

Sorry, I hope it's of some use anyway, maybe at least to the more recent members (and perhaps to those as well,
that master the search function only on the same mediocre level as I do :( ).

Best regards,

hero.