Artillerie, Motorized Artillerie and Panzer Artillerie

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

dennisb

Artillerie, Motorized Artillerie and Panzer Artillerie

Post by dennisb »

I would like to know what the exact difference is between Artillerie, Motorized Artillerie and Panzer Artillerie.
I find a lot of information but everything is contradictory.

Where it all Artillerie units or where Motorized Artillerie units and Panzer-Artillerie units more frontline fighters?
Where there difference in weapons and Artillery guns??

Thanks in Advance!
John W. Howard

Re: Artillerie, Motorized Artillerie and Panzer Artillerie

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Dennis:
In general German artillerie could be divided into: 1) Horse-drawn 2)Pulled by a motor-vehicle(truck, half-track, prime mover) 3) self-propelled on a tank chassis such as a Wespe or Hummel. So I assume the three terms you mention correspond to my general descriptions above. Regular artillerie was probably horse-drawn, especially in the infanterie units. Motorized would be any artillerie pulled by a motor vehicle. Panzer Artillerie would be any artillerie mounted on a tank chassis capable of independent movement, therefore ideal for panzer units due to their ability to keep pace with the panzers. So the differences in terminology generally refers to what provided their mobility: horse, motor vehicle, or panzer chassis. Hopefully this clears up your question; if not let us know for more clarification. Best wishes and I hope I helped a little!!
John W. Howard
dennisb

Post by dennisb »

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, but thanks, it helped alot! :D
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Glad to hear it :wink:
John W. Howard