243° Infanterie Division

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

mrs1944

243° Infanterie Division

Post by mrs1944 »

Help,
I can't find any emblem for the 243° Infanterie Division based in Normandy on D-Day. is there existing ? Thanks
John W. Howard

Re: 243° Infanterie Division

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello mrs:
The following site will be of great use to you with the 243ID, but also with any unit serving in Normandy: http://web.telia.com/~u18313395/normand ... gerob.html Good Luck and best wishes :wink:
John W. Howard
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

If you do find an emblem, please let people know. I have yet to find one, too.

Mad Dog
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello to all !

This is the divisional emblem, as given by Schmitz/Thies, Vol. 3 (see below) :

The translation of the german description :

Circle with black border : In silver the black latin capital letter H, within the letter, two black thin lines, representing a smaller second H.
(Pfahlfäden is a german special term used within heraldry research (literal translation would be ... "stake-threads" ?!).
I don't know the corresponding english term, but it denotes thin lines, seperating different areas of a blazon).

[And in my interpretation the first line should read : Silver-circle with black border with the black latin capital letter H ...]

This combination of letters, resembling a train-axle, points to the first- and lastname of the divisions commander, Gen.Lt. Heinz Hellmich.
Noticed on several (march-)direction-signs in spring 1944, in the area of Bricquebec, normandy.

Best regards :wink: ,

hero.
Attachments
243_ID_01b.jpg
243_ID_01b.jpg (212.73 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

THanks Hero. Does the reference you quoted a book with all the divisional insignias ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
hero.
Supporter

Post by hero. »

Hello Mad Dog !

In principle ... yes... but :

1.) It is a collection of emblems of all sort of units, including Korps, Bäckerei-Kompanien,
Feldkommandanturen, Minensuchflotillen (navy-unit) and so on. It is a work, covering
several volumes, and I was able to get 2 vol. from the library.

2.) Many (unexpected) units are covered, but several units, one would like to have infos about,
(at least in a certain time-frame !) are missing.

If you have any ínquiries on units, you are searching for, feel free to ask. If it's in there,
I'll post/send you the scans :D !

Best regards,
hero.