German medics in WW2

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Ronald Lameck
Supporter

Re: German medics in WW2

Post by Ronald Lameck »

I realise that my inputs here may be rather late for this forum. However:
My wife's uncle (husband of mother's sister) was an ambulance driver in Krankenkraftwagen Zug 616 with what became 20 Gegirgsarmee. By war's end, they had retreated into northern Norway and surrendered to British troops in the end of May, 1945. He was back home in Hamburg by mid-August.
Another uncle (mother's brother) was shot through the stomach and leg somewhere in the U.S.S.R. in late 1943. He always said that he was very well treated by the Red Army medical corps. As a PoW, he changed from ardent Nazi to ardent Communist, even joining the Party and publishing a pro-Communist newspaper at the camp. He was released in summer 1945 and was deputy mayor of Magdeburg for many years. He always had stomach problems related to the injury, and so he died at age 61.
A friend's father was captured in 1944 after their damaged U-boat had to surface. He was brought to Canada and held until early 1947. He returned to the village near Dresden where he had lived with his wife. They emigrated to Canada in the mid-1950's.