marching rates

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

MadDog
Associate

marching rates

Post by MadDog »

According to the Handbook on German Military Forces, typical German marching rates for various types of units were (miles per hour):

infantry: 3 mph
mounted: 6 mph
trucks with trailers: 16 mph
tanks: 12 mph

What is unclear is whether or not these rates represent administrative march rates, or march rates for units in enemy territory (tactical march). Does anyone know ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Re: marching rates

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello Maddog

3mp/h = league or ca 4.8 km is actually what a person is able to walk in an hour (not forced march) under good conditions. In my time it was still the standard marching rate units achieved without engaging and walking on roads or least tracks, not cross country, ie in your words the administrative march rates. In those days, infantry units in my army used to march in tight single file with short spaces between platoons. Today, units are more spread out, which tends to slow down the marching rate but also reduces vulnerability. On the other side, you have almost no control over your guys and a platoon leader will probably bite some nails because invariably, a squad or halfsquad will get lost in the process. Also note that an individual vhc might achive a higher speed, but in convoy movement, the speed also tends to be much slower. Especially the period tanks suffered if driven at a higher speed.

HTH
Hans
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Convoys also have to travel at the speed of the slowest vehicle - AND because they're moving in convoy require they accompanying outriders, police etc. to close side roads. That's why a lot of issue motorcycles only have a top speed of a few mph more than the fastest vehicle in service - to be able to zip ahead JUST as far as the next junction and be rude to civvies :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I have been assuming 3 mph is road rates, and cross country is about half that.

Convoys also have to travel at the speed of the slowest vehicle - AND because they're moving in convoy require they accompanying outriders, police etc. to close side roads.

Well, it wasnt until I found the marching rates, but I suddenly realized that vehicle "marches" travel very slowly. The march rates for vehicles are far slower than the vehicular top speeds.

On a related note, anyone know the marching rates for British and US forces ? ironically, I found march rates for Germany, Italy and Japan, but not the allies......

thanks,

Mad Dog
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

The march rates for vehicles are far slower than the vehicular top speeds.
As the war progressed - it wasn't strange for transport vehicles etc. of all types to be designed down towards that set "convoy" speed. Look for instance at the pathetic top speed of the AEC Matador!!! Low compression engines also ran better of course with "pool" petrol...

Conversely - low gearing down to "convoy" speeds allowed vehicles to actually haul larger loads :wink:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
WT
Supporter

Post by WT »

Below is a link to the US Army field manual FM21-18 Foot Marches.

http://stevespages.com/page7c.htm

Under 'normal' conditions US soldiers are expected to march 4.0 kph on roads and 2.4 kph cross country.
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Thanks WT. I have that already. I have the foot march rate but nothing for vehicles for the US or anything for Russia or Britian.

thanks,

Mad Dog