1941 Palizy more details available?

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

1941 Palizy more details available?

Post by Hiltraut Tieden »

After months of searching for information about my uncle who died 1941 near Palizy (Palitsy),Russia,
I finally received a letter from WASt.
It lists his personal data, Company, approximate location where he was killed, etc.
Can anyone give me further thoughts or input on this? I am not interested in finding his gravesite,
but perhaps somebody would know who was in charge when he was killed or any other thoughts about the unit
he was with, location/battles, or the photo.
Here is the link to the letter from WASt incl. my translation.

LINK DELETED.
The book mentioned below ("Der Weg der 87. Infanterie-Division von 1939-1945" by "Oehmichen, Hermann & Martin Mann") was very helpful.

Thanks,
niece.
Last edited by Hiltraut Tieden on Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Go here and click on 87. Infanteriedivision:

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm

At the very bottom of the page you will find the title of its published divisional history. You could either go to your local library and request it through interlibrary loan (San Jose State and Arizona State both have large holdings of WW II German divisional histories), or you can shop around on the used book internet sites. These older titles come up occasionally in the used market, although they can be pretty expensive because only a few thousand were published.

--Lorenz
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

books

Lorenz, thanks for your answer. I did what you suggested, and yesterday I picked up the book
"Der Weg der 87. Infanterie-Division von 1939-1945" by "Oehmichen, Hermann & Martin Mann" through ILL.
So far, I only glanced at it, but I think it will be the answer to all my questions.
The appendix has plenty of maps included. I am overwhelmed!

One more question:
did anybody read
"Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945, Osnabrück, 1973 ff"?
WASt referred to it in their paperwork to me, and I wondered whether it is a book showing the formations and organizations only. I could not find it on Feldgrau's Biography page.

Thanks, niece.
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

Florida Niece,

Tessin, Georg. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945. 16+ Bde. Osnabrück: Biblio Verlag, 1965-c.1990.

This massive work has approximately one page on most German divisions and gives a very brief outline of its organizational history along with a paragraphy or two summary in outline form on its operational history. If you have the Oehmichen book, then Tessin will not have anything to add. You are good to go with Oehmichen.

--Lorenz
Winter Springs, Florida
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hello.
I study struggle on November, 19-20th 1941. Russia, nearby Moscow and Zvenigorod. Struggle between Russian 144 division and German 78 and 87 divisions. Please send copies of the text. Some sheets describing events 19-20.11.1941. The book 87 German division. In Russia this book could not be received.
Leonid. [email protected]
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

copyright?

Does anybody know about the copyright in this case?
I would like to send Leonid the couple pages out of the book, but I need to know whether that would be against the law.
Please advise me!

niece
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hello
My grandfather was lost on November, 19th 1941. I study history of this day. The information is required only to me. I shall not give it to other people.
Leonid
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hello

Modern copy. It is drawn manually from a card 1941. The village Palitsy is drawn in the right bottom corner. Directly about village Palitsy Russian 20 tank brigade and 43 shooting brigade borrow defense.

http://rkkaww2.armchairgeneral.com/maps ... 1-orig.jpg

Leonid
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hello
Winter landscapes between Zvenigorodom and Aksinino (1 km from Palitsy)
http://www.levinnic.ru/zvenigorod2/zvenigorod2.htm
Leonid
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Leonid

Re: 1941 Palizy more details available?

Post by Leonid »

Hello
Recently bones of 44 Russian soldiers have been found in Palitsy. They belonged to 43 brigade. In a photo their tomb.
Hiltraut Tieden
Supporter

Leonid,
thank you so much for that update!
I was not able to see the picture, though.
How did you hear about it? Is there more to read?
I wonder whether they will find German soldiers' remains as well.
Hiltraut
Leonid

Post by Leonid »

Hello, Hiltraut.
This theme at Russian forum. http://www.trizna.ru/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33942
There is a legend. Corpses of German soldiers threw in an old well.
Leonid