5th Artillery regiment

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Polynike

5th Artillery regiment

Post by Polynike »

i recently acquired a WW2 photograph of a German sentry and on the reverse it had Prague 1940, 5th Art Reg. can someone please point me in the right direction of somewhere where i can confirm whether the 5th artillery regiment was at all stationed in prague during 1940

thanks

polynike
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Polynike!

As far as I know, the Artillerie-Regiment 5 was part of the 5. Infanterie-Division and thus spent 1940 campaigning in the West and then remained as occupation force in France until early Spring of 1941. Maybe some other more knowledgeable member has some other information. Meanwhile, some links...

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... eg/AR5.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... en/5ID.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Probably the Artillerie-Ersatz-Regiment 5 is meant.
According to Tessin, it was in Olmütz (Olomouc), Bohemia between 4.11.39 and 18.08.40 as headquarters for some of the artillery replacement units of V. Wehrkreis under 165. Division. The replacement units of the V. Wehrkreis had in part been moved to Czechoslovakia to make place for the units being readied for the 1940 France Campaign, which needed the barracks in Ulm, where the regiment was normally stationed.

Unfortunately, Olmütz is some 280 kilometers east of Prague, and the three battalions assigned to the ArtrErsRgt 5 were stationed between Olmütz and Brünn (Brno). Can't explain the discrepancy there.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Polynike

Post by Polynike »

thanks for the replies.

the back of the photo says 5th Art Reg, then it has Prag. i just assumed it meant Prague, unless the place Prag actually exists as well. Another photo that came in the same lot also had a group of soldaten outside some stables. on the reverse it had 5th Art Reg leaving Pilsen, 1940. unfortunately there were no dates that were more specific. maybe those more learned in these forums can make a clearer picture for me of when and where the photos were taken, if possible.

thanks for your time

Polynike