Famous photograph, what is his story?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Wild Rose

Re: Famous photograph, what is his story?

Post by Wild Rose »

I am editing this post as I mistakenly passed page three in which a member who previously posted mentions Bill Barton of the 14th having visited the Museum in 2003. I will leave my original post below but add a few thoughts. Bill nor my father were invited to visit the museum. We showed up one day in April 2003 and Rob and Jacqueline, the owners nearly fell over. We passed 5 or 6 hours with them over two days. I have 5-6 hours of video taped interviews of other members of the 14th. Before I came across this site today, I have been working on gathering further video taped documentation of 14th members. Bill is 89 or so and my dad is 86. I jokingly tell them that we need to do a return trip. I do not know if Bill knows about the discovery of the Browning pistol. The idea of going back with him back and meeting the soldier in the photo. Interesting idea....... but from reading the previous thread not likely to happen for many reasons.

Original post before my addition above:

I am sure you are all well aware that the vehicles in this picture are 14th Cavalry Group, 18th Reconn. (Mostly Troop C, 1st Platoon). My father, Gradyn Davies was in the 14th, also Troop C, 2nd Platoon. They were not far from this engagement. His friend, Bill Barton, however, was in First Platoon and was in the middle of this ambush. He was in either the first or second vehicle when they took fire.

Both of them are still alive. The three of us visited the museum down the road from the Poteau ambush site in April 2003. According to the owners, these were the first troopers from the 14th who had visited the museum since they had opened it in 1991. (I think it was 1991?) Or was it 2001?

The conversation that erupts whenever this photo appears are a site to see and hear.

Salut
RJH57

Post by RJH57 »

WOW!! my father was member of 2.Kompanie, I.Bataillon, 1 SS-PanzerGrenadier Regiment "LAH" and participated in the Battle of the Bulge! I had often seen this photo before and had I known that this might have been a member of his company, I would have asked him but unfortunately he passed away some years ago :(
RJH57

Re:

Post by RJH57 »

Emil wrote: On the axis history forum there were several discussions about this man in which he was "identified" as a sniper in Stalingrad, a certain Walter Armbrush from LSSAH but also as a member of the recce btln from LSSAH.
Emil
the LSSAH was never in Stalingrad!
TimoWr
Enthusiast

Post by TimoWr »

No doubt that's why it reads "identified" with quotation marks.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Given the now advanced age of this thread I'm still amazed that it still invites discussion. I suppose that is because this image has become regarded as almost iconic to WW2.

Regards,
Simon.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Simon H wrote:Given the now advanced age of this thread I'm still amazed that it still invites discussion. I suppose that is because this image has become regarded as almost iconic to WW2.

Regards,
Simon.
It is surprising to see the thread I started seven years ago still at least marginally active, and unfortunately not much more is known about it now than then. Ah well, I don't expect we'll get much more information on this fellow.

A sniper in Stalingrad?! :? Where did that come from?
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

There is an issue of AFTER THE BATTLE magazine--unfortunately I am away from my resources as I write, or I would give the exact issue number--that takes up the question of this soldier's identity. Remembering from the article, a re-enacting group (British?)
set out to recreate this exact series of shots at the same location. Their task was successful, with photos appearing in the magazine,
creating a "then and now" juxtaposition as ATB is known for. Other members of the original German group were identified, but
the author(s) came up empty, as others have, on the identity of the man in the famous photo.

Perhaps you can contact AFTER THE BATTLE and they can at least refer you to the article.

It would appear the young man in the photo is designated to be one of the photographed German "Unknown Soldiers" of WWII.

Hope this helps.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

Landserstudent wrote:There is an issue of AFTER THE BATTLE magazine--unfortunately I am away from my resources as I write, or I would give the exact issue number--that takes up the question of this soldier's identity. Remembering from the article, a re-enacting group (British?)
set out to recreate this exact series of shots at the same location. Their task was successful, with photos appearing in the magazine,
creating a "then and now" juxtaposition as ATB is known for. Other members of the original German group were identified, but
the author(s) came up empty, as others have, on the identity of the man in the famous photo.

Perhaps you can contact AFTER THE BATTLE and they can at least refer you to the article.

It would appear the young man in the photo is designated to be one of the photographed German "Unknown Soldiers" of WWII.

Hope this helps.
I think you are refering to issue 142, but the re-enactment group were not English as far as I recall (may be wrong though). The main reason for After the Battle returning to this particular story was the first time they visited the area was way back in the 1980's.

Still this thread lives on.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.