Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
John W. Howard

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Zepp!! Very glad to have you aboard!!
Hi Michael: Gettysburg is a great place, even if it is over-visited at peak times. On a visit in the spring a few years back, I got up very early and reached the Park at exactly 6:00 AM, just as they were opening the gates. There was no one on it but me and the deer and the game birds for awhile. The Pennsylvania Dutch traditions made their way to my neck of the woods; we have many Amish areas around me, and they keep all of those German/Swiss traditions alive, especially the cooking. Just visited Shiloh and Bryce's Crossroads this past fall; it had been many years since I had last seen both of them. Take care.
John W. Howard
Raskolnikov

Post by Raskolnikov »

Hi I'm Antonio, from Spain , I like WWII history and my hobbie it's searching data about the Eastern Front.

:)
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Antonio

Welcome. Since you like the Eastern Front you'll find much to your liking here. Check out posts by Tigre (Raul) and in particular his work and pictures from the 250 Spanish Blue Div.

cheers
Michael (Reb)
Raskolnikov

Post by Raskolnikov »

thanks fro the recommendation :) and for the wellcome :D
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Antonio:
Love your forum name: "RASKOLNIKOV" :wink: Welcome and best wishes!!
John W. Howard
Raskolnikov

Post by Raskolnikov »

[quote="John W. Howard"]Hello Antonio:
Love your forum name: "RASKOLNIKOV" :wink: Welcome and best wishes!![/quote]

Thank John , It's a nick I use to use since I read Dostoievski's book, "Crime and Punishment".
Estonian daughter

Post by Estonian daughter »

Hello from Australia
What an interesting site! I only found it recently while searching for information to add to my family history. I have been reading some or your messages and see that most members are ardent students of military history and/or active participants in military activities. I hope, therefore that you will forgive an absolute amateur with only very limited interest joining your ranks.

I am particularly interested in learning more about the involvement of Estonians in the German forces during World War 11.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Careful, ED!! A passing interest often turns into something so much more!

Welcome to the crew! The story of the Baltic nations in early to mid-20th Century can be quite interesting. Have fun!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Fussi1

Post by Fussi1 »

Hi all,and thank you for letting me aboard.

I've only just begun to take a serious interest in WW2 within the past 4 years. My hubby has been at it for 30+ years.
I guess,in part,I began to study because of his interests...but after finding some photos of past family members,I began to take a serious interest in WW2 on my own.
A few of my family members fought during this time...some for Canada,some for the USA,some for Italy,...and I just recently learned that some fought on the sides of Russia and Germany as well...
I guess the main reason that I am here is to learn more about the war and what my various relatives might have gone through or done during that time.
I've browsed other sites and learned a great deal about the life my mother had as a child growing up in a DP camp.
I would like to find out a little more about how she came to be there,what was involved in her leaving there,etc.
I would also like to learn how to talk to the individuals that are still alive...how to broach them on the subject...
I'm hoping that I will receive some beneficial insight into how and why certain relatives joined the factions that they did.
Now if someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction (which area would be best to post certain questions in)...lol

Thanks all,
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome Fussi1!!! Just go ahead and post in the section that seems the most appropriate; mods and admin can move your post if necessary. Have fun :wink:
John W. Howard
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

My name is Gregg, I was able to join a week ago or so. History has always been the area of my greatest interest.

We are Pennsylvania German, both my mothers' side and my fathers' side. For 275 years the Pennsylvania Germans were the biggest population group in our state and area of Pennsylvania. That is all changing quickly, and sadly.

My mother died last March, my father 18 years ago. Before her death I had lost my job of 36 years due to job cuts. Mom was dying of cancer and my job lost allowed me to take her shopping and for her cancer treatment. It worked out well for all of us. I am married 40 years to a dear woman, Nancy.

Before my Mother died she gave me a box or all my father's US Army Air Corp papers and other items. My father enlisted in 1937 because of the economy and was present at the Attack on Hickman Air Field, Hawaii on 12/7/1941. He survived the war after fighting in the Pacific. Through the many things in his box I was able to make contact with three men he trained and a LT. he served under.

I learned my father was at the Attack on Hickman and Pearl Harbor from our 3 RD Grade teacher who read an interview with a veteran on 12/7/1956. Then she announced this veteran had a son in our class and it was me!

That night at supper I asked my father if he really was at the Attack on Hickman on 12/7/1941. He was as surprised as I was to have me ask this question. My father asked me who told me and I told him our teacher used his interview for our history lesson that very day. I said it sounded like it was very bad that morning and he said "yes it was very bad for a good many individuals."

We have a World War II Group in our city and recently a former German POW spoke to us about his war in North Africa and his experiences in the POW camp here in the States. Then another dear friend told me how he went to visit the places he fought in Europe during the War. During their tour he ran into German Soldiers who he was fighting in 1944/45. He was treated very nicely and they became good friends of my friend. The following year he was invited and attended the German Units Reunion. Bob said they were people just like us, fighting for their country. I should add Bob told me how an ME 262 flew over their Fox Hole one day. No one was sure what they had just seen, none of them had ever seen a plane without a prop before this.

All this has taken me to a few sites to learn as much as I can about this period in our World's history.

I have learned so many things visiting here, I am amazed at the amount of experiences and knowledge that is found and shared here.

Thank you for such a great site.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Welcome to the crew, Greg!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
PA. Dutchman
Supporter

Post by PA. Dutchman »

Thank you Tom, I really do enjoy the site and have learned a great deal.

During my 36 years at my place of employment one of my best friends' fathers had been a German POW during the war here in the USA. Willi's father was returned to Germany after the war and returned to the USA with his family as soon as he could. My friend Willi was born on the ship coming to the states. They settled in this part of the USA because we do have so many Germans- German Americans.

I had a second friend whose father also was a German POW and returned with his family as soon as it was possible. They too settled to this area of Pennsylvania.

Growing up we lived in the same home all our lives and our next door neighbors were German. Joesph had fought in the German Army in World War One. From time to time they were able to help their family relocate here as well.

Finally I think I mentioned it before my employer purchased several million dollars of High Tech Production equipment and it was all designed and manufactured in Germany. They sent their own Techs to install it and get it running. It was beautifully made equipment. I was able to make a few friends among the Techs. Some were younger and had not seen all the advanced weapons Germany designed during the War, the tanks, Jets, Subs and on and on. Enjoying history I had several books on much of this. We have a book store that sells slightly damaged or out of print books at a greatly reduced price. I told them I would bring them in and they could keep them, but I said don't get into trouble with them. If you can not take them back don't try.

They were amazed and went over the books at lunch time like they discovered a new world. They took the books with them and whatever happened to them I did not want to know. I was able to replace most of them in short time at the discount book seller.
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Hi there!

My name is Katie. I'm not exactly new here in that I signed up back at the tail end of 2007, but I've never actually made any posts here before, I've just poked in looking for little bits of info here and there. So I'm still new as far as interacting and contributing goes! I'm a 22 year old History major from San Diego, CA. I'm hoping to graduate with my Bachelor's within the next year (year and a half at the most, hopefully).

I began seriously delving into WW2 history about 4 years ago and have been fascinated by it since. People tend to question my femininity over my love of the subject, but what can I say? When you love something, you love it! I have also found an intense interest in Germany and its rich culture and history. So naturally, Germany's war years are of particular interest to me. :) I've studied four semesters of German and am fluent by no stretch of the imagination, but I would love to continue my studies of it, as I don't want to lose the foundation in it that I have.

My boyfriend is also a bigtime history buff, and ww2 is one of his bigger areas of focus. He's trying to introduce me to the world of reenacting, but so far I haven't had the time to get involved. I do intend to give it a shot someday, though.

Since 2007, I have been writing a story that takes place during the second world war. It is fiction in the sense that the main characters are not real people, but I have been doing as much research as I can to make sure that all other details (location, historical persons mentioned, etc) are as accurate as possible. I plan to turn it into a comic (of all things) someday.

I would also consider teaching or writing military nonfiction someday. I may not be able to meet my heroes from the war because most of them have passed on, but maybe I can help to preserve their memory so that they aren't forgotten over time. If I get the opportunity, I would like to do that.

I never have been very good at introductory posts, so that's enough for now, but I look forward to really getting to explore the bevy of information here. :)
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Welcome!!
John W. Howard