'Soviet Storm', Military History Channel, SKY TV.

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Jez
Associate

'Soviet Storm', Military History Channel, SKY TV.

Post by Jez »

Was lucky enough to catch the brand new 'Soviet Storm' opening episode last night on the History Channel, here in the UK.

Personally i thought it's presentation was excellent.... the docu-drama shots seemed to be along the same lines as the footage/graphic technique that has been previosly used on the Spartans '300' & 'Sin City'.

The actual information showed a far more dogged resistance than i had realised in the opening phases of Barborossa (except regards the Brest Fortress).

Anyone seen this programme and if they have, is this a realistic presentation of the opening of Barborossa or is this rather pro-Soviet? (as this has been made in the Russian Fed)

Many thanks.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Re: 'Soviet Storm', Military History Channel, SKY TV.

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

I thought that is was pathetic, if I want a comicbook history I'll go out and buy one.
Alan
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Please Alan, don't hold back what you're thinking my friend.

If you have something to say, then it is always better to just come out and say it.

I saw the second installment tonight that focused on Operation Typhoon. Most excellent i thought.

It was again, very Soviet leaning but very interesting all the same.... especially the portrayal of the forward recconnaissence Battalion at Khimki being repulsed.

Any Russian or German contributors have feedback?

All best.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

I'm hoping the 30+ observers of this thread get the chance to see this series as it is quite excellent (as an opinion).

Last night was the seige of Leningrad...... presented in a highly entertaining but respectful manner, regards the suffering endured by the civillian population of Leningrad- especially in the opening 8 months of the siege.

All best.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Stalingrad last night!

Absolutely brilliant- although the reversal of fortunes, Soviet Counter attack onwards, there wasn't enough time committed to this.... It should have been able to be 1.5 hrs long!

All best Feldgrau.