Soviet Anti Tank Weapons

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Helmut
Patron

Soviet Anti Tank Weapons

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
Other than "Artillery Type" weapons, what kind of individual antitank weapons did the Soviets have. What I am specifically looking for is individual weapons like antitank rifles. Did the soviets have any type of equivalent to the panzerfaust?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Helmut
C.GILLONO
Supporter

Re: Soviet Anti Tank Weapons

Post by C.GILLONO »

Their copy of the Panzerfaust and such arrived postwar AFAIK.
But in 1944-1945, they just had to grab them from captured German depots...
They got some Bazookas but not enough to outfit their numerous units.
HTH
Amateurs talk tactics, historians study logistics, but what about amateur historians?
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

So basically, the only man portale anti tank weapons they had were anti tank rifles?
What kind of caliber were these weapons? What was the range?

Thanks for your help.

Helmut
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

They also had a range of anti-tank drogue-stabilised grenades.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Don't forget mines!

Not really a thing you throw or fire from a distance but still effective.
And in most if not all cases man borne, dug and hidden with the aid of an entrenching tool.
Effective non the less (if not in killing, then at least in delaying attacks!).

waleed
von Salza
Supporter

Post by von Salza »

Yes Phylo,

I think that was the RPG-40 Model 1940 anti-tank grenade.

Hi Helmut,
So basically, the only man portale anti tank weapons they had were anti tank rifles?
What kind of caliber were these weapons? What was the range?
The Soviets produced two Anti-Tank Rifle versions throughout the period of the war

A bolt action single shot Degtaryev PTRD 14.5mm A/T rifle. It weighed 35.2lbs and about 202,000 were produced throughout the war.

A magazine fed Simonov PTRS 14.5mm A/T rifle. It weighed 44.7lbs and about 63,000 were produced throughout the war.

The Degtaryev was produced in more numbers as it was less complicated and therefore easier to manufacture.

Both weapons had similar performance and required two men to carry into action. They could penetrate about 35mm of armour at 100m. They were really only effective during the first years of the war although they were used right up until the end. They could still penetrate side and rear armour at close range in the latter stages of the war, though this required some nerve on the part of the user. The Germans of course countered this threat, at least for the sides of their tanks, with the Schurzen armoured side skirting.

There is some evidence that in 1941 the Soviets also manufactured a crude mortar type weapon called an 'ampulomet' which was used in an A/T role. It weighed 28kg, had a crew of 3 and fired a ball shaped vial filled with jellied gasoline to a range of 250m. It appears to have been designed as a means of projecting your molotov cocktail further and smacks of the desperation of the times that the Soviets found themselves in, in 1941.
Their copy of the Panzerfaust and such arrived postwar AFAIK.
Yes the RPG-1 & RPG-2 (which were copies of the German Panzerschreck & Panzerfaust weapons) never saw action before the end of the war.
They got some Bazookas but not enough to outfit their numerous units.
Through the lend-lease programme the US supplied around 8,500 Bazookas and the Brits sent about 1,000 PIATs and 3,200 Boys A/T rifles.

regards

David

:wink:
"Whoever wishes to master the art of war must study it continuously. I....am of the opinion that one lifetime is not enough to attain this goal." - Frederick II
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

Through the lend-lease programme the US supplied around 8,500 Bazookas
The actual number was 3000

From Lend lease Shipments in WW2 published by the US War Dept in 1946
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

There is some evidence that in 1941 the Soviets also manufactured a crude mortar type weapon called an 'ampulomet'
I think the evidence is overwhelming.

Anyway some pics

phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

What exactly was the projectile???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

From memory its a "KS" flame bottle - basically a Molotov cocktail
john.torress

Post by john.torress »

A parallel evolution was taking place at this time however, anti-tank weapons based on HEAT warheads using a Munroe effect shaped charge. These self-forging explosive munitions could penetrate even more armor than some of the largest anti-tank guns, yet weighed only a few pounds. Typically delivered by a small rocket fired at short range, HEAT formed the basis of the British PIAT, US Bazooka and German Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck and the recoilless rifle. In many cases these weapons were so effective that the concepts of Blitzkrieg could often be stopped cold by properly equipped troops.
HistoryRepeats

Post by HistoryRepeats »

BobM wrote:
There is some evidence that in 1941 the Soviets also manufactured a crude mortar type weapon called an 'ampulomet'
I think the evidence is overwhelming.

Anyway some pics

First off, I want to apologize for posting in an older topic, but I found these photographs to be really fascinating. Might I add that these photos are also what I happened to find on my google image search. =P

Anyway, I absolutely, positively love old historical photographs of WWI & WWII weaponry. It really captures the essence of what life was like back in the day -- filled with danger, but filled with a sense of pride. If these photographs prove anything, it proves how advanced technology was for its time and in that region. While I'm not a fan of war, I'm forever grateful for those who were brave enough to capture these moments. I am completely enamored by history, in general. Thank you all for allowing me to join in the discussion.

Welp, that's about all I have to say. Aside from studying up on WWII history, I'm thinking of branching out into other facets of American history. Anyone currently studying chickasaw history? =D

Thanks, folks! Have a wonderful day! Can't wait to meet you all!
Liliana
Aside from WWII History, has anyone considered studying chickasaw history at all?