Waffen SS shoulder boards and Waffenfarben

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

LV

Waffen SS shoulder boards and Waffenfarben

Post by LV »

Anybody happen to know what Waffenfarbe did vehicle maintenance troops wear in Waffen SS armored units? Did all members of SS reconnaissance units wear the "A" cloth tab on their shoulder boards?
Die Blechtrommel
Supporter

Re: Waffen SS shoulder boards and Waffenfarben

Post by Die Blechtrommel »

No, if I recall it precisely!
Still, asking is always good.
With best
Juha :up:
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
LV

Post by LV »

Answering is always good as well. I must admit that I was looking for a bit more elaborate answer with some info on which factors decided if they were worn or not.

BR,

LV
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

LV, to the best of my knowledge, they wore Rose Waffenfarben, as they were considered part of the armored arm.

As for the A for Aufklärungs, I don't think they all did. After the war started, a lot of those letters and numbers went away for security reasons.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
LV

Post by LV »

I'm under the impression that all SS reconnaissance units, including armored reconnaissance, wore golden yellow. I don't think that wearing or not wearing an "A" tab is not going to make too big a difference because reconnaissance units would wear their own Waffenfarbe anyway. I mean if someone wearing an "A" tab would get captured, the enemy can only tell that the POW is a member of some SS reconnaissance unit. But on the other hand, a regimental tab, such as "G" for Germania or "2" for SS-Pz. Regiment 2, is an obvious give-away.