Oddities of Gebirgsjager Uniform?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Edelweißpiraten

Oddities of Gebirgsjager Uniform?

Post by Edelweißpiraten »

Hello...this is my first post on this forum:

I've been working on an art peice using 1/6 scale Dragon military characte figures (you know posh Action Men for thirty-somethings). I'm kitbashing these figures and photographing them in realistic poses. I have a couple of general books on German WWII uniform (but not the Osprey publications that I could really use right now). I also have some original photos, including a few 'Death Cards' ('Sterbebild' is that the right word?). Based on the viewing of only two or three photographs of Gerbirgsjager in my collecton my query is: was it common practise for Gerbirgsjager to wear civilian shirts, pullovers and patterned scarfs under their jackets as these few photos suggest?

NB: I understand that in WWII soldiers on all sides mixed and matched, picked-up and privelaged non-regulation uniform, kit and weapons (Keith Douglas' "Alamein to Zem Zem" has wonderful descriptions of his own evolving mongrel uniform which if I rightly recall was crowned by a pair of Lugers worn cowboy style)also that full uniform was not always obtainable by all. But, because the photos I am speaking about are formal studio pictures I suspect that something more than oppertunism is going on...

Many Thanks.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I am sure people will organise some photos. I will try to host and link to the few GJ images I have, mainly of para-trained Gebirgsjäger. But what period are you thinking of focusing on? Early on, most GJ had the whole complement of uniform and equipment issue but, obviously, later in the war, there were shortages and compromises.

PK
Edelweißpiraten

Thankyou Paddy...right now I'm not focusing on any particular period...rather I just want to familiarize myself with uniform in general (I can bearly tell one from another at present)so, the GJ uniform is merely the first that I've had a specific question about which is not answered in the couple of books I have.

S.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

Civilian shirts and jumpers weren't uncommon. Non regulation ski boots were also popular for those needed them. One item often seen in photos of GJ in Norway\Finland are knitted mittens.

If you're looking for something unusual but absolutely authentic then how about SS camo smocks on Heer GJ or fieldgray assault gun wrappers instead of the regular army tunic. Both items were issued on a limited basis to GJ in Norway\Finland.
Edelweißpiraten

Thankyou Simon - I'll check that out.
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Post by BergführerKiser »

Grüß Di' Gebirglers,

As Simon mentioned, knitted mittens were popular purchases by troops in Norway and Finland:

I even got a pair of knitted mittens for one of my 1/6th Gebirgsjägers!

Civilian shirts, sweaters, and scarves were pretty popular with Gebirgsjägers from before the war until the end...don't believe all those propaganda posed photos! The Gebirgsjägers weren't much for Prussian Military Bearing...they were Bavarians and Tiroleans...country boys, farmers, mountain men and mountaineers.

Muli vor!
Mit einem Kameradschaftlichen Horrido!

Patrick

Always looking for Gebirgsjäger & Muli (pack-mule) items.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Patrick/BergführerKiser!

On your second posted photograph, the one with the close-up on the two Gebirgsjäger skiers with snow anoraks, do you know the identity of the Ritterkreuzträger to the right? I do thinks it looks like he's sporting the RK underneath the anorak, or am I mistaken?

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Grüß Gott Krollspell,

At the moment I do not know who the RKT is in the photograph. I'll see what I can find out.

Muli vor!

Patrick

BergführerKiser
Supporter

Servus Krollspell und Bergkameraden,

A friend of mine thinks that he is Ritterkreuztrager Oberst Hans von Schlebrügge.

Berg und Ski Heil!

Patrick

Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Patrick et al.!

Here's a pic of Hans von Schleebrügge for comparison. He recieved his RK on 20.06.1940 while fighting in Narvik/Norway, being a
Major in command of I./Geb.Jg.Rgt 139 of the 3. Gebirgs-Division. Different sources spells the name either with one or two e's...

Hans von Schleebrügge also recieved the Heeresbergführer-Abzeichen on 14.08.1939 and had during his miliatry career been the
commanding officer for the Heer's first Skibataillon (41/42) as well as commader for the Ski-Jäger-Brigade 1 (December 1943
to May 1944). Other duties also included being Kommendeur for the Hochgebirgsschule Fulpmes in Tirol.

Source and highly recommended reading: "Die deutschen Skijäger - Von den Anfängen bis 1945" by Georg Gunter.

Hans von Schleebrügge
http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de

Servus,

Krollspell
Last edited by Doktor Krollspell on Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Grüß Di' Krollspell,

That he commanded the Hochgebirgsjägerschule makes sense because the photo is part of a series of photos that I have from that school.

Dort, wo der Adler haust!

Patrick

Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

Great photos Patrick!

Schlebrügge got his RK as company commander of the 1.Kp. GJR 139. He took over command of the Btl. from Ludwig Stautner (awarded the RK for his command of the Btl. during the Narvik campaign) on the 10.June 1940, ie. as soon as the campaign ended.

On the 22.July 1944 Schlebrügge returned to GJR 139 as it's commander, though by then it had expanded to a brigade. He remained in that position until Feb.45