Nuremberg Chronicle published by Anton Koberger in 1493

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Florin
Supporter

Nuremberg Chronicle published by Anton Koberger in 1493

Post by Florin »

I do not know how long this link will be available on Yahoo-News:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110425/ap_ ... _book_utah

...So I made a "Copy" and "Paste":

500-year-old book surfaces in Utah
By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press – Mon Apr 25, 5:59 am ET

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
But on a recent Saturday while volunteering at a fundraiser for the small town museum in Sandy, Utah, just south of Salt Lake, Sanders got the surprise of a lifetime.

"Late in the afternoon, a man sat down and started unwrapping a book from a big plastic sack, informing me he had a really, really old book and he thought it might be worth some money," he said. "I kinda start, oh boy, I've heard this before."

Then he produced a tattered, partial copy of the 500-year-old Nuremberg Chronicle.

The German language edition printed by Anton Koberger and published in 1493 is a world history beginning in biblical times. It's considered to be one of the earliest and most lavishly illustrated books produced after Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press and revolutionized publishing.

"I was just absolutely astounded. I was flabbergasted, particularly here in the interior West," Sanders said. "We might see a lot of rare Mormon books and other treasures, but you don't expect to see a five centuries old book, you don't expect to see one of the oldest printed books in the world pop up in Sandy, Utah."

The book's owner has declined to be identified, but Sanders said it was passed down to the man by his great uncle and had been just gathering dust in his attic for decades.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My opinion about this: Another looting made by an US soldier after 1945, in occupied Germany.
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Nuremberg Chronicle published by Anton Koberger in 1493

Post by fridgeman »

I wonder too where this came from, but most probably its as you said.
Stolen by some US soldier after war in germany.
Florin
Supporter

Re: Nuremberg Chronicle published by Anton Koberger in 1493

Post by Florin »

Hi,
The German authorities should have access to this find, and try to trace in what library belonged before. I tried a search on Internet to see what German governmental agency overview antiquities, but I could not find anything.