Feldgrau's Future

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

colhot

Re: Feldgrau's Future

Post by colhot »

Hi

Does Jason look at this board?

Thanks

Colin
Juha Tompuri

Post by Juha Tompuri »

John P. Moore wrote: Even though AHF has more registered members than Feldgrau (42,351 to 8,828 on Feldgrau) the visitor counts at Feldgrau always seem to be substantially higher at Feldgrau than AHF when I look. As an example, there are currently 226 visitors at Feldgrau, but only 150 at AHF.
The answer might be how the visitors are counted:
AHF wrote:In total there are... users online...(based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Feldgrau wrote:In total there are... users online... (based on recently active users)
Regards, Juha
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

In total there are... users online...(based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
In total there are... users online... (based on recently active users)
But what's the time interval between user counts on AHF?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Guillermo
Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

bump
Leandros
Supporter

Post by Leandros »

How is the financial sitution here now?

Fred
http://www.fredleander.com - buy my book on Operation Sea Lion
dgc47

Post by dgc47 »

What's the latest on this? Is the server paid for, is our help still required?
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Effective today, September 18, 2015, I hereby resign my position as a moderator at Feldgrau. I no longer wish to be associated with a site where the site owner, Jason Pipes, no longer takes an active part in the administration of the site.

John P. Moore
Jerry
Associate

Post by Jerry »

Why? You certainly have the right to resign but what's the difference whether Pipes participates or not?
Jerry
When you're in command..... command!
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

So few use the site anymore, moderators have become redundant. Axis History Forum is rapidly approaching the same fate. The old high traffic days of the 2000 - 2010 decade are long gone and will not return. My contention is that most of the clientele were siphoned off by social media, particularly Facebook, but Marcus Wendel rejects that argument. Anyway, it's sad to see the history websites disintegrate after such a short lifespan.

Lorenz
jordanr

Post by jordanr »

I think Facebook is a big factor. I am thinking about a conversion to another software to see if that would help us.

I have not heard back from John. Sorry to see him go and much thanks for all the contributions. Jason is still around. I talked to him the other day.
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

To be frank, if AHF goes under, good riddance as due to Wendel's policy of supreme political correctness as is apparently required by the current suicidal Sweden. Good historical debate is impossible without complete freedom of opinion and freedom from political agendas.
ljadw
Supporter

Post by ljadw »

That's wrong : complete freedom of opinion is impossible and would lead us to a catastrophe.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

I think part of the problem we face is that these sites have been almost too effective. They have created people very capable of researching on their own, and many have projects of their own which take time. Another key factor is members willing to share and guide other members. Losing John Moore is tough because he is a researcher and is a valuable mentor to others in his area of interest. I would be willing to bet that he gives more than he gets from Feldgrau, but he has stuck it out here for quite awhile. I will miss him.
John W. Howard
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Facebook is not the problem....thats too undirected, too unstructured there to have any value , at least for myself.

To keep a forum running is hard work, I know that.

Have been off for so long because I simply did not have the time, being online meant that enough people regristrated that (and multiplied my bunch of work). We will see what the future brings.

My respect to people like Marcus, Jason, John P. and so many others !

Jan-Hendrik
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Lorenz wrote:So few use the site anymore, moderators have become redundant. Axis History Forum is rapidly approaching the same fate. The old high traffic days of the 2000 - 2010 decade are long gone and will not return. My contention is that most of the clientele were siphoned off by social media, particularly Facebook, but Marcus Wendel rejects that argument. Anyway, it's sad to see the history websites disintegrate after such a short lifespan.

Lorenz
Hi Lorenz

I haven't visited Feldgrau since Feb 21 2015 and in that time there have been just 267 new posts.
The AHF despite what you perceive is still very active (it averages over 100 new posts per day) though granted not maybe at the halcyon levels you mention or remember.

Forums still provide a valuable asset for those seeking information and whilst I agree that FB/Twitter etc have had an impact, it shouldn't be overstated.

Regards

Andy H
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die