The Bridge (film)

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

sonofdavros

The Bridge (film)

Post by sonofdavros »

I watched this German-language film the other day, which is a new remake of Die Brücke (1959), starring (amongst others) Franka Potente. The young actors are all very good, but the direction is very poor, with none of the impact of the low-budget original. The American troops look like (and fight like) ageing reenactors, unable to deal with five inexperienced boy soldiers facing them, whose machine guns never overheat, nor run out of ammunition.

A wasted opportunity.
haen2
WWII Vet

Re: The Bridge (film)

Post by haen2 »

Remakes are seldom as good as the originals. Re-enacting is sometimes sloppy and inaccurate.

b.t.w. How many of you have seen 08/15 a trilogy by Hans Helmut Kirst. It actually is an anti war movie, based on his books, made in the early 50's or late 40's; but gives a great impression of life and training of an average German soldier. It also depicts, misuse of authority and even stupidity of the system. Great viewing, great scenes. Three parts: The Barracks (basic training); The Front, and the return home.
Just got myself a set on dvd's ( containing more than the VHS set), on the interned; dirt cheap.
Just a tip.
HN.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
sonofdavros

Post by sonofdavros »

Thanks for the info - it looks good. Is it subtitled ?
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Mine don't have subtitles, just plain old German, but there are versions on sale with English, Dutch, French, etc. subs.
Sometimes these subs lose something in the translation, but I guess that comes with the territory.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

haen2 wrote:Remakes are seldom as good as the originals. Re-enacting is sometimes sloppy and inaccurate.

b.t.w. How many of you have seen 08/15 a trilogy by Hans Helmut Kirst. It actually is an anti war movie, based on his books, made in the early 50's or late 40's; but gives a great impression of life and training of an average German soldier. It also depicts, misuse of authority and even stupidity of the system. Great viewing, great scenes. Three parts: The Barracks (basic training); The Front, and the return home.
Just got myself a set on dvd's ( containing more than the VHS set), on the interned; dirt cheap.
Just a tip.
HN.
I bought the 08/15 trilogy several years ago from Belle & Blade in VHS. They have it now on DVD. This version is in German with English subtitles.
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

I've seen the 08/15 films quit a few times now and am looking forward to the next I can watch them. Also read the book which I find excellent reading, like much of Kirst's work (though by no means all his work).
The original Die Brücke is an excellent film too but I enjoyed the book (by Manfred Gregor) much more.
While looking for a review of the new Die Brücke I found out that Fritz Wepper played a role in the original, must have been the boy that survived since he moved on to become Harry Klein, Derrick's sidekick :D
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

I tend to think if it isn't broke, don't fix it... there's nothing intrinsically wrong with a remake if it's inventive, for instance the cross-pollination between western movies and samurai epics was a wonderful thing. But it's now something the industry relies on... Planet Of The Apes, Wicker Man, Shaft, the list is endless and there was no need for any of them to be remade. It smells of cultural burn-out to me. Where are the new ideas? The only benefit I can see in remaking the Bridge is in bringing attention to the original.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
David N
Supporter

Post by David N »

Paulus II wrote:I've seen the 08/15 films quit a few times now and am looking forward to the next I can watch them. Also read the book which I find excellent reading, like much of Kirst's work (though by no means all his work).
The original Die Brücke is an excellent film too but I enjoyed the book (by Manfred Gregor) much more.
While looking for a review of the new Die Brücke I found out that Fritz Wepper played a role in the original, must have been the boy that survived since he moved on to become Harry Klein, Derrick's sidekick :D
Yes, Fritz Wepper played the survivor.
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

The Bridge was rate among best ever war movies...

Post by L. Kafka »

I was listening to a radio talk show some years ago in which a film historian rated The Bridge among his ten best ever war movies. I got it from Netflix and gave the storyline an A and a C for being watchable. If this story was re-done today, I feel it would be less stiffly shot.
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.