Help me come up with missions for my fiction, please!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Heimatkurs

Help me come up with missions for my fiction, please!

Post by Heimatkurs »

This is not really a research question and it is fiction-related so I will post here. As I said in another post, I am writing a piece of historical fiction set on the Eastern Front: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=32005&p=225641#p225641 The idea is to follow the unit from 1941 to 1944-1945, from Barbarossa to Bagration.

I would like to come up with short, fictional missions/assaults for the squad to take part in. I have decided that the squad is going to be part of the 31st Infantry Division in the 4th Army. As Hoth's 3rd Panzergruppe and Guderian's 2nd Panzergruppe encircle the Soviet salient, the 31st (and the squad) advance forward.

The first assault I was thinking of was having the squad cross a fictional river in the early morning to assault Soviet artillery in a fictional town near Bialystok. (The town and the river don't need to be fictional; that's kind of why I'm doing research.) Although German artillery provides fire support, the squad's rubber boat sinks not far from shore and the unit has to swim the rest of the way. They then have to deal with a machine gun nest protecting the Soviet guns. They could then launch an assault on the guns themselves, or I might have them ambush a Soviet patrol and interrogate some captured prisoners to find where the guns are located.

What I need are more scenarios like this for the unit to go through. I might also be using these scenarios in a GURPS WWII game I am planning (a roleplaying game, like Dungeons and Dragons but set in WWII). Basically I need missions for the players to attempt and I don't want to just rip off Band of Brothers or video games like Call of Duty. :roll:

Thanks in advance!