Ronald Searle exhibition

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Rolf Steiner
Associate

Ronald Searle exhibition

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Was quite impressed by the Cartoon museum's expo of Searle's work - interesting to see his time as a POW in Japanese camps shaping his subsequent work, eg some of the St Trinian's illustrations obliquely referring to the brutalities he witnessed or underwent there. Also some interesting takes on post-war Germany from him including a fantastic pic of a VoPo border guard (supposedly the man threatened to throw a tear gas grenade but was talked out of it by his opposite number on the west German side). Also views of camps for displaced persons which appeared to date right up to the late 1950s! Love Searle's work, the Molesworth books still make me howl.
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: Ronald Searle exhibition

Post by phylo_roadking »

Have to admit, like most in the English-speaking world, my FIRST awareness of Searle wasn't the "Skool" books - I read them years later....it was the start and end credits on the St. Trinians' films! :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds