German Movies

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

German Movies

Post by Annelie »

Would like to start a list of German Movies made immediately after the war about the war and its people.

The Murderers Are Among Us by Wolfgang Staudte, first movie made in Berlin in 46.
Rotation, Wolfgang Staudte, 1949.
Germany Year Zero
Irgenwo in Berlin

Of course everyone has heard of Die Brücke.
Has anyone heard of others?
Annelie

Re: German Movies

Post by der alte Landser »

The novel "08/15" by Hans Helmut Kirst was turned into a movie of the same name in 1955 or so. It is a satirical look at life in the German army in 1938. The novel is an amazing book, and the movie version is definitely worth watching.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thankyou, never heard of this but I will search for it.
Annelie

Post by haen2 »

I saw part one of 08/15 in 1956 or so, in Holland.
Got caught up in it, and sang aloud with the Marching company; there were several dirty looks, and pointing fingers :? :shock: :oops:
In de 60's got a VHS copy of part one from local library, and dubbed it; result ? lousy.Tried to borrow it again, but meanwhile it had been stolen ( they said).
But Hooray !!! I just was able to get my hands on all three parts, on DVD. Have not been able to watch it yet, because of illness, but it's worth waiting for.
Good things are worth waiting for. If I figure out my new computer, and windows 7, I will burn some copies.
Meanwhile have a happy holiday season !!!!!
Hugo N.
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Die Bruecke (1959) by Bernhard Wicki. The final battle scene seems similar with the Saving Private Ryan's last battle scene which makes me thinks that Spielberg would have been aware of this film
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

I first Die Brueke four decades ago - it was burned into my mind. Now that I've hunted it down on youtube and watched it again I realize it was actually better than I remembered.

There is a sequel as well, not as good but not bad. Also in Colour.

cheers
Reb
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

The 3-disc DVD version of 08/15 is well worth watching, as is the film version of his famous novel Fabrik der Offiziere, although this is a little short to take in all the complexities of the long book. There is also a more modern four part version available which goes into more detail which I would also recommend.

Another good post-war German film is Nacht fiel über Gotenhafen, about the Wilhelm Gustloff. Many of the cast of Hunde wollt Ihr ewig leben? (which is also worth watching for an early German take on the Stalingrad débâcle)are in it. It tells the story of the disaster simply and is moving without going over the top.

I fancy there used to a be a list of German movies elsewhere on the site but can't remember where.
Regards

Howard
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Thankyou for the replies.

Already have
Hunde wollt Ihr ewig leben, found this film at germanwarfilms.com but they don't have "Nacht fiel über Gotenhafen"
but amazon does have one used film for $38. Think I will keep looking for a new one.

Thanks.
Annelie