Patton

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Patton

Post by Annelie »

Target Patton.......by Robert K. Wilcox
The plot to assassinate General George S. Patton.

Just part way into the book. Makes for fascinating reading.

One character I would love to meet. Charles F. Bazata.
If one believes what is written about this man one could say his life story is
what movies are made of. Intelligent, tough, one time part of Jedburgh team, talented artist,
spy, saboteur and intelligence agent, wine expert,
received the Distinquished Service Cross, honest and forthright etc.

The book is worth alone reading about this man.

So far it looks evident that many people wanted Patton silenced and out of the way.
Annelie

Re: Patton

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Ha! what a coincidence. Just picked this book up myself...
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Yes, a coincidence.

I am really enjoying all the intrique and mystery. Not hard to imagine Patton was eliminated by those
who would like to silence him. Lot of administrative/motives ... questions that would possibly change the way
some people might view those involved.

Can imagine the personal power struggles that were going on?

Be interested to hear what your thoughts are on this book?

By recommendation I have already read Genius For War,
Not hard to admire this man. Great book with lots of background information on Patton.
Annelie

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Annelie and PzM:
I have just finished a decent biography of George C. Scott, the actor who portrayed Patton in the film. Scott was as serious about acting as Patton was about his craft, and was never pleased with the mostly one-dimensional aspect of the film. Patton's papers were published not long after the film was completed, and Scott was distressed they had not been at his disposal prior to the film. The parallels between these two tormented men are striking. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Just finnished the book. Can highly recommend it.
Its full of intrique and mystery and lots of facts I never heard before.

Paton knew he would never return from his mission.
The car he was riding that is purported to be in the museum is not the real car, the car is
a fake. Its said the car Paton was riding is in Russia.

Stalin so disliked John Wayne (actor) because of his vocal distain for cummunism that he tried several
times to eliminate him. Makes me wonder now if Wayne was injected with something to give him cancer? It was at the time when people died mysterious deaths of poison and other?

Its was estimated that 20,000 American and 20,000 Brits remained in Soviet hands of which the Soviets denied yet this info was a classified SHAEF memo. Stalin used POW kidnappings (hostages) to get the US and Britain to agree to Soviet control of Eastern Europe....Marshall forbid the use of military force to recover American POW's.

There are so many shocking revelations that one must read them for themselves.
Annelie

Post by michael kenny »

Annelie wrote:Stalin so disliked John Wayne (actor) because of his vocal distain for cummunism that he tried several
times to eliminate him. Makes me wonder now if Wayne was injected with something to give him cancer? It was at the time when people died mysterious deaths of poison and other?
Yes Stalin bankrolled the film 'The Conquerer' just so he could put Wayne in all that US fallout. Clever trick wasn't it?

In fact, urban legend has it that John Wayne may have caught the lung cancer that eventually killed him during the filming of The Conqueror in southwestern Utah in 1956. Southern Nevada was where our government frequently exploded aboveground nuclear bombs throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Several were tested during the actual filming of The Conqueror and about a third of the cast and crew that worked on The Conqueror died of one form of cancer or another within a few years. John Wayne lasted a little longer than most. But the deaths, taken together, are considered a statistical anomaly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conqueror

The exterior scenes were shot on location near St. George, Utah, 137 miles downwind of the United States government's Nevada Test Site, Operation Upshot-Knothole, where extensive above-ground nuclear weapons testing occurred during the 1950s. The cast and crew spent many difficult weeks on the site. In addition, Hughes later shipped 60 tons of dirt back to Hollywood for re-shoots. The cast and crew knew about the nuclear tests, there are pictures of Wayne holding a Geiger counter during production, but the link between exposure to radioactive fallout and cancer was poorly understood then.

Powell died of cancer in January 1963, only a few years after the picture's completion. Hayward, Wayne, and Moorehead all died of cancer in the mid to late 1970s. Cast member actor John Hoyt died of lung cancer in 1991. Pedro Armendáriz was diagnosed with kidney cancer in 1960 and committed suicide after he learned it was terminal. Skeptics point to other factors such as the wide use of tobacco— Wayne and Moorehead in particular were heavy smokers — and the notion that cancer resulting from radiation exposure does not have such a long incubation period. The cast and crew totaled 220. 91 developed some form of cancer by 1981 and 46 had died of it by then. Dr. Robert Pendleton, professor of biology at the University of Utah, stated, "With these numbers, this case could qualify as an epidemic. The connection between fallout radiation and cancer in individual cases has been practically impossible to prove conclusively. But in a group this size you'd expect only 30 some cancers to develop...I think the tie-in to their exposure on the set of The Conqueror would hold up in a court of law."[/i]
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Yes Stalin bankrolled the film 'The Conquerer' just so he could put Wayne in all that US fallout. Clever trick wasn't it?
It was just a off handed comment. If you have any doubts about Wayne and the attacks on him the please feel free to
read the book.
Annelie

Post by Annelie »

Sergei Gerasimov, a Soviet film director, was in Hollywood and became aware of Wayne's activisim. Germasimov returned to Russia to tell Stalin, who took an active part in Russian film making, about Wayne's crusade and influence in America. Stalin became convinced that Wayne "was one of the greatest enemies to the Soviet Union," and a major obstacle to world revolution. In 1983, writes Munn, Orson Wells, no conservative, told him. "I do not know if the name John Wayne was already known to ...Stalin before 1949, but in 1949 he....came to hate it. He feared it. He felt that the name had become a mojor threat to him and his ideals...In Stalin's warped mind, the Americans had invented some new secret weapon, more subtle than a nuclear bomb, but just as destructive...Stalin was mad, of course.....should have been put in a straight jacket. Only a madman like Joseph Stalin would have tried to have John Wayne killed.

Wayne himself admitted as much--althought he wanted it kept quiet because of questionable stunt he pulled to scare some KGB assassins sent to kill him..... Munn writes he and Wayne were in Wayne's trailer when he asked "Duke" if what he had heard about Stalin targeting him was true. Wayne was silent a few moments. "Then, in an almost hushed tone, he said to me, "Once the genie's out of the bottle, how ya gonna get it back in again?...Kid, I've been critized for years because I've made my feelings known about those pinko bastards....I'll be straight with you 'cos I like you, and you already know more than anyone should. This is between you and me. The communists have been trying to kill me since 1949." The revered actor then told Munn a story involving a thwarted KGB attempt to kill Wayne. It "was at Wayne's office at Warner Bros., where he and Jimmy Grant (Wayne's frequent screenwriter) would be working on a script," writes Munn. The FBI had informed Wayne that the assassins were coming and would be masquerading as agents. When real agents arrived to set a trap, Wayne asked if he and Grant could teach the Russians a lesson. He wantd to show he was not afraid of them. He proposed using guns loaded with blanks to act out an execution on the assassins. The agent agreed. When the assassins arrived, they were arrested and taken in a car to a place up the coast of California. Munn concluded, "That's how John Wayne and James Grant came to be on a remote beach late into the evening, with guns aimed at the heads of two KGB agents, knweeling in the sand, and thinking their time was up.

Having failed in their mission, the two assassins defected. If Stalin target John Wayne, why not George Patton?

page 358-360
Annelie

Post by michael kenny »

Annelie wrote: If Stalin target John Wayne, why not George Patton?
Indeeed. The author is well versed in conspiracy theories.
Read his other work that claims Japan built and tested her own A Bomb in 1945.
http://www.amazon.com/Japans-Secret-War ... 638&sr=1-9
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Annelie didn't write that ....the author wrote that.

But, until you read the book I don't care what you have to say to me.
Annelie

Post by michael kenny »

Annelie wrote:
But, until you read the book I don't care what you have to say to me.
A pity. This review of the book that reveals the Japanese A Bomb comments on the way Wilcox checks his sources:

Wilcox also appears to be rather credulous. He writes at length about the TO spy network organized by Spanish agents and funded by Japan. He interviewed the head of TO, who made wild, improbable claims for the organization, such as that it penetrated the Manhattan project (giving a date for this penetration well before the Manhattan Project was even organized), that he had a German U-boat at his disposal, and that his agents collected radioactive soil samples from a test in 1943. The TO leader even claims that he personally smuggled Martin Borman to Argentina in a U-boat. Since Borman's body was discovered in Berlin recently, this witness is entirely without credibility. Wilcox notes some contradictions in his interview but chooses to believe him anyway. Why? The man was clearly a pathological liar and braggart, and Wilcox' own recitation of facts makes it clear to the discerning reader that TO was so amateurish that the Allies had completely rolled up the network by 1944.

I was wondering if the same high standard is applied to his Patton sources.