"Cross of Iron" movie

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Freebooter

"Cross of Iron" movie

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I still love good ol' "Cross of Iron" with James Coburn, James Mason, Maximillian Schell, David Warner, Senta Berga. I think it is a great war movie, but one of the reasons I love it is because it shows the close relations, friendships, and brotherhood of the soldiers of an average Germany platoon during the war. I love that movie and the actors that were in it. Actors are not the same any more in my opinion. They don't have the same class, style, stage presence, etc, as the older generation.
Later,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
Hans
Associate

Re: "Cross of Iron" movie

Post by Hans »

I agree! It's the only movie I ever bothered to keep. Mine's dupped in German & it gives it that little extra.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Hans,
Where did you get a dubbed version? I would love to have one. I love it when movies like that speak their own languages. It makes it much more realistic and interesting to me! I would love for the Russians to speak Russian and the Germans speak German in that movie and "Enemy at the Gates" (another favorite) the way they did in "Stalingrad"!

By the way, where did you and the others get those little emblems, shields and all next to your names? I would like to have something similar!
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Hi Dave,

A cousin - since deceased - in Germany sent it to me.

The emblems you refer to are available on Feldgrau, go back to your own page and follow the links - I guess they are still there. Mine is that of the 17.ID.

- Hans

PS. re photos etc. I agree with you, thats why I'm a hypocrite on the subject. I feel that the medals I have in my collection are safe with me. Better with me than throwing them in the bottom draw somewhere or worse. However I refuse to have anything to do with original photographs. I wonder why? :wink:

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Hans,
I went to the Avatar page and could not find the one I wanted as mine, the DAK Palm Tree w/Swastika emblem.
Thanks,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

I think the decision was made many, many years ago not to allow the use of swastikas in a member's avatar. Please remember that the display of the swastika is illegal in some European nations, including Germany. To keep Feldgrau accessible to members in countries where the symbol is illegal, it was decided that the insignia should not be used on the forum, aside from in historical photographs of that particular period.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL (P.S. You won't find any Red Stars in the avatars either...... :wink:)
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I understand that the swastika is illegal and all in some places, but just the palm tree emblem without the swastika would be neat to me.
Thanks,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Dave, well only Jason can add to the avatar database. Try running this by Phylo or Tom, maybe they can help.

Best Regards,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello again,
Perhaps I will try to find the 10th Mountain Division patch as my avatar (My dad's old division) or maybe even my own 1.6th Infantry that I servced in in the early '70s.
Later,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!!
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

There is an interesting anecdote in the film. Remember the scene where Sergeant Steiner and his men were celebrating Lieutenant Meyer's birthday in the bunker, they sung a German folk song, Westerwaldlied. They started with the chrous, 'O, du schoener Westerwaldlied', and the shout-out was 'Prima Damen Schluepfer' which means (Prima Ladies Panties) instead of the normal 'Eukalyptusbonbon' shout-out.

That's what I heard and the quality of the copy I had wasn't that good. Anyone can confirm this?

Panzermahn
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Freebooter wrote:Where did you get a dubbed version? I would love to have one. I love it when movies like that speak their own languages. It makes it much more realistic and interesting to me! I would love for the Russians to speak Russian and the Germans speak German in that movie and "Enemy at the Gates" (another favorite) the way they did in "Stalingrad"!
You know there's a german Amazon, http://www.amazon.de so just have your credit card ready and follow this link... :wink:

http://www.amazon.de/Steiner-Das-Eisern ... 22&sr=1-20

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
drGreen

Post by drGreen »

Love the movie, they should bring out more like this one. The thought "If I only was a millionaire, and I could fund a film" usualy comes up when whatching another movie about a US platoon :roll:
Gren Schell

Post by Gren Schell »

panzermahn wrote:There is an interesting anecdote in the film. Remember the scene where Sergeant Steiner and his men were celebrating Lieutenant Meyer's birthday in the bunker, they sung a German folk song, Westerwaldlied. They started with the chrous, 'O, du schoener Westerwaldlied', and the shout-out was 'Prima Damen Schluepfer' which means (Prima Ladies Panties) instead of the normal 'Eukalyptusbonbon' shout-out.

That's what I heard and the quality of the copy I had wasn't that good. Anyone can confirm this?

Panzermahn
Yep, they do shout out what sounds like Prima Damen Schluepfer, but I'm not quite sure what the literal translation means? :roll: