Curd Jurgens imprisonment 1944

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Rolf Steiner
Associate

Curd Jurgens imprisonment 1944

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Does anyone know the details regarding actor Curd (aka Curt) Jurgens imprisonment in 1944? The most I can find out is that it was instigated by Goebbels. Anyone know what he did/said to earn it?

Happy new year and all that!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
ghp95134
Supporter

Re: Curd Jurgens imprisonment 1944

Post by ghp95134 »

Curd Jürgens (commonly billed as "Curt Jurgens" in anglophone countries) was one of the most successful European film actors of the 20th Century. He was born Curd Gustav Andreas Gottlieb Franz Jürgens on December 13, 1915, in Solln, Bavaria, in Hohenzollern Imperial Germany, a subject of Kaiser Wilhelm II. Of Franco-German parentage, Jürgens -- who was born during the closing days of the second year of the First World War -- would abandon the country of his birth after the end of World War II: Jürgens became an Austrian citizen in 1945 and lived part-time in France.

Jürgens entered the journalism profession after receiving his education, and married Louise Basler, an actress. Basler, the first of his five wives, encouraged him to switch careers and become an actor. He learned his new profession on the Vienna stage, which retained his loyalty even after he became an global film star. Jürgens was sent to a concentration camp for "political unreliables" in 1944 due to his anti-Nazi opinions. It was this experience in Nazi Germany that led him to become an Austrian citizen after the war.

Source HERE

Cheers!
--Guy
Fahrdienstleiter

Post by Fahrdienstleiter »

Is there any definite proof of his imprisonment? Many sources only state that Jürgens was drafted into the Wehrmacht in July 1944 just after completing Wiener Mädel, allegedly because he clashed with the brother of Ernst Kaltenbrunner.
An Gleis 5 bitte einsteigen. Türen schließen selbsttätig. Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Despite his imprisonment, Curd Jurgens played a lot of characters that were associated with Wehrmacht in war movies during the 1960s and 1970s. For example, movies like The Enemy Below, Battle of Britain and possibly his most famous role among Western cinema as General Blumentritt in the movie The Longest Day.

MY favourite Curd Jurgens quote, (from the movie Battle of Britain);

"David, we are not asking for anything. Europe is ours, we can walk into Britain whenever we like!"

Panzermahn
Fahrdienstleiter

Post by Fahrdienstleiter »

In my opinion, Jürgens was never convincing as a Wehrmacht officer. The Enemy below is a pathetic movie, his role in The Longest Day is basically just an extended cameo appearance, and I hate his character in The Battle of Britain because it is just another example of the old and ricidiculous british claim that the Nazis were only the puppets of a century-old conspiration by Prussian noblemen to conquer the world. If you want to know the truth about Preußen, don't listen to Churchill's propaganda, but read Christopher Clark's celebrated book. Jürgens was much better as Karl Stromberg in The Spy Who Loved Me.

P.S. As a Bayer, Jürgens was no "subject of Kaiser Wilhelm II.", but of König Ludwig III.
An Gleis 5 bitte einsteigen. Türen schließen selbsttätig. Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt.
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

Fahrdienstleiter wrote:...P.S. As a Bayer, Jürgens was no "subject of Kaiser Wilhelm II.", but of König Ludwig III.
It's nice to be a Preiß, but its higher to be a Bayer

Oachkatzlschwoaf!
--Guy Power
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Met him in München at the airport in 1974, shortly after he performed a tongue tonsilectomy on a young blond chick. Ugly cuss without his makeup but a nice bloke. If I remember right we discussed "Ferry to Hong Kong". After we parted my wife asked me, "Who was that dirty old devil ?"
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hans wrote:Met him in München at the airport in 1974, shortly after he performed a tongue tonsilectomy on a young blond chick. Ugly cuss without his makeup but a nice bloke. If I remember right we discussed "Ferry to Hong Kong". After we parted my wife asked me, "Who was that dirty old devil ?"
Hans,

Did you managed to snap a photo with him at the airport?

Panzermahn
Marc Binazzi
Supporter

Post by Marc Binazzi »

Hans wrote: he performed a tongue tonsilectomy on a young blond chick
No doubt he had French origins...... :D
"the iron fist had a glass jaw" (Ronald Reagan in Raoul Walsh's Desperate Journey)
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Panzer,

Did not take a photo as my wife would not get within 10 feet of him, either to take a photo or be photographed. Still, the memory is imprinted.

- Hans
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

If he's snogging blondes in 1974, then he's had the last laugh on his captors / press gang eh? I suspect there might be an explanation in here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curd-J%C3%BCrge ... 948&sr=8-2

BUT. Check out the price!!! I'll keep an eye out for it in the charity shops!

And thanks for your comments gents!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

@GHP

Post by HeinrichFrey »

... but the highest rank is to be a middle-frank. :roll:
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
ghp95134
Supporter

@HeinrichFrey

Post by ghp95134 »

HeinrichFrey wrote:... but the highest rank is to be a middle-frank. :roll:
BWA-Hahahaha~!!! :wink:
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

First You should explain "Oachkatzelschwoaf" to the guests in our franconian-bavarian forum"feldgrau.ned? fei scho!". German or mankind, GHP?
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Heinrich,

:up: :beer: :up: :beer: :up: :beer:

- Hans [A Nermbercher von "Down under".
Du deutsches Vaterland?