Death Notice in my local newspaper

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Annelie
Patron

Death Notice in my local newspaper

Post by Annelie »

Halina.........

Scenes from her active life. During the Great Depression with her father mostly away seeking success in commercial ventures, a resolute farm girl found solace in school, in learning and not shying away from bullies. As a young teen she was part of the two million Poles deported to Siberia. A strong sense of will and discipline led her to survive the logging work camps of the Arctic Gulag. Three years later a sense of community and lifetime comradeship developed while training in the newly formed Polish 2nd Army Corps in Egypt. There was a time also for adventure. Whether swimming in the Red Sea, climbing the Pyramids, touring the Holy Land or sailing (as a women army unit) First Class on the Queen Mary to war torn Italy. The ladies drove the army supply transport trucks to the front lines. ........

It goes on to say...life many veterans of her generation, hidden by her pleasant, engaging manner pulsed a tested inner strength and a genuine sense of gratitude for life's blessing.

.......this women seemed like a wonderful person to have known. Like so many other women of her era she was a survivor and looked forward and counted her blessings. I cannot imagine having to survive being deported to Siberia and then being part of the Polish Army Corps in Egypt. This women will be missed by those who know her.
Annelie

Re: Death Notice in my local newspaper

Post by statemachine »

A Ukrainian man here in town was born(50's) in one of those work camps in Siberia.They got fed enough,one day off each month,long days...
An unbreakable man