Military surplus in everyday use...

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

phylo_roadking
Patron

Military surplus in everyday use...

Post by phylo_roadking »

At the weekend, at a local vintage steam fair, I spent the best £18 I ever spent...on an antiques stall - on THESE...

..a perfect pair of as-new Wachbataillon parade boots! Soft as kid, now well oil-impregnated for waterproofing, and in daily use since. Fourteen hours a day with no galling or scalding...

Which brought a question to mind; leaving aside reenactment...what bits of military surplus kit do people consciously or unconsciously use or wear every day???
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Re: Military surplus in everyday use...

Post by Dragunov »

hey Phylo

the one that pops to mind for me are surplus ammo boxes, i've seen them used as toolboxes and i've seen them sold at some place that sells tools and random junk (real ratty condition).

I use mine (Canadian for 7.62 nato, belted, ball) as a box for stuff. if you had to keep some papers or something dry on an expedition through a hurricane, this is the kind of box you'd want. (it's water proof and apparently blast-resistant). I was considering to use it as a lens carrier for my local bike expeditions, but then that bike died, so...

cheers to all
D
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

They are not blast resistant.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Dragunov wrote:the one that pops to mind for me are surplus ammo boxes, i've seen them used as toolboxes and i've seen them sold at some place that sells tools and random junk (real ratty condition).
I hadn't thought of that. I have a few, one actually containing various ammunition!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

:D Good subject!

Use some of my helmets if & when needed as head protection (what else...) Mostly the Danish or the Tommies!
My 6x30 Dienstglass (Binoculars) are always close by.
My 21cm Mörser brass case as a dustbin.
A cal. 0.50 ammo box for mathes. Yes, keeps them nice and dry and out of reach for the kids.

waleed
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

They are not blast resistant.
hey Sniper! :D well, that's what I heard from a ex-soldier. perhaps he's wrong, but I think those cans can take a significant amount of abuse.

and it's pretty widespread... I saw a garage in Malaysia with a 50cal box as a tool bin.
Use some of my helmets if & when needed as head protection (what else...) Mostly the Danish or the Tommies!
My 6x30 Dienstglass (Binoculars) are always close by.
My 21cm Mörser brass case as a dustbin.
A cal. 0.50 ammo box for mathes. Yes, keeps them nice and dry and out of reach for the kids.
I'd want a stahlhelm but I can't seem to justify a $250 purchase of that kind... but it would make a damn good cycling helmet (and that I do very often).

I have some similar Eastern Bloc binocs, but I hate using them because glasses+old design = no fun.

and an ammo box is a great choice... mine is not fun to open.

another idea: mag pouches would make good stuff carriers. I have too much crap to carry around and pants with lousy pockets, so this would work for me... except that I rarely wear a belt.

cheers!
Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

hey Sniper! :D well, that's what I heard from a ex-soldier. perhaps he's wrong, but I think those cans can take a significant amount of abuse.
He is wrong....the only abuse they can take is from being dropped or kicked around, and then only for a bit. They dent very easily actually. Anything like a blast or something bigger will destroy the can.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I use an Irvin Mk4 parachute apex tie as a key fob and often wear BW FJ boots on my motorbike. I sometimes wear a 1960s Denison smock when out shooting, which is much admired by local French hunters. And then there is the inevitable USN pea coat, as well as any number of different types of flying blouse, although I admit to wearing good repros these days because of the increasing value and rarity of the originals, which would be wrecked in a motorcycle accident. I also have a pudding basin helmet converted from a 1950s/60s Bundeswehr AVF crew crash helmet.

PK
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Am I considered "military surplus?" If so, then add me to the list of things I use and abuse every day!! (Get yer mind outta the gutter, you!)

I don't take as much of a beating as I used to, as evidenced by my fatigue level after one day at an amusement park with my eldest, followed by three days of camping with all three boys.

However, over all, I find myself fairly reliable.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Tom, you are definitely "Military Surplus"!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Sad to say, old friend! But, at least it proves how durable and reliable "military surplus' is to the younger folk! :D :D :D

Wish I had a lend-lease Studebaker myself......... :up:

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

What Tom DOES need is an army-surplus laptop..... :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Commissar D, the Evil

Yeah well, and I need an Army surplus M-24 Chaffee Tank.....

I do hope that Tom collects before I do, Phylo! :up: :up: :up:

Very Best!
David
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Sorry, can't do a Chaffee...

CAN however do a Centurion or T-34???
Commissar D, the Evil

A T-34? Suddenly I'm interested!! How about that Phylo? How much and where, my friend????

I have this odd feeling that the transport fees will cost me more than the actual tank.......... :(

And, anyway, what fool would trust me with a real Russian tank????

Bestens,
~D, the EviL