Travelling in Europa

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

panzermahn
Associate

Travelling in Europa

Post by panzermahn »

Hi,

I would be going to UK this coming week and then will stopped by Germany around the 1st week of August.

Just need some advise in Berlin. How do I find the remains of Fuehrerbunker as well as the Reichkanzlei in Berlin? Also, what time does the Bundeswehr Wachtbataillon would changed the guard?

Oh yes, I would love to purchase the Bundeswehr Musikkorps recordings of the 60s and 70s. Especially from the EIn Leid...drei...vier: Grosses Potpourri beliebte Soldatenlieder und Marsche by Heeresmusikkorps VI (Hamburg) und Spielleute der 6 Panzer Grenadier Division Grosse Soldaten Chor, leitung Major Johannes Schade.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks for the help

Panzermahn
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Re: Travelling in Europa

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Panzermahn!

The book on Berlin that you'll need is "Pastfinder Berlin 1933-1945: Stadführer zu den Spuren der Vergangenheit" by Maik Kopleck (2006). There's also an english edition of this eminent little guidebook. Search the different Amazon... etc. Highly recommended for your stay in Berlin!

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

I've had the good fortune to travel the world this past decade. Nowhere have I found more interesting than Berlin, although there are huge chunks of its pre-1945 history no longer with us.

You won't find much at all of the Reichs Chancellery - just a children's playground and a block of flats. The Air Ministry building still stands, as does the Bendlerblock of July 20th fame (well worth a visit). The Topography of Terror exhibition on the site of the old Gestapo building is worth seeing. A trip to the top of the Reichstag is a must (long queues).

And if you don't mind Commie kitsch, Alexanderplatz is a must to see how god awful post-war architecture was (although I do like the world clock strangely : :shock: )

Sachsenhausen KZ is worth visiting on the end of one of the commuter lines - a really eerie place, stuck at the end of suburbia.
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Herr Doktor Krollspell and Richard

Many thanks for your reply. I just bought a book by lonely planet "Europe on a Shoestring" (it's very hard to get choices of travel books in Malaysia) but too bad it didn't mentioned about the places I wanted to go. However I think Brandenburg Gate at the Tiergarten is one of the destination I wanted to go :)

Also, I heard that Germans in Munich are more friendlier than those in Berlin, is this true? :shock:

So, Reichstag, Tiergarten, RLM, Brandenburg Gate, Staufenbergstrasse (ex-Bendlerstrasse) should be good destination

Panzermahn
The Wanderer

Post by The Wanderer »

this is worth a look when you go to Berlin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_War ... ower_Park)
and the fuhrerbunker is just a car park now but have a look at temple hof airport too wile your there
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

I think that should be - have a look at Tempelhof while IT'S there... :(
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

It is so easy to get around Berlin. Just walk, walk and walk. It really astonished me this time last year how the place had developed since our last trip. As we also spent time in Paris and Rome amongst other places during our trip I was truly amazed when my wife and I agreed that Berlin was the pick of them all. Looking forward to next years revisit. London which was once our favourite is no longer even in the race.

Have a good holiday.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Also worth a visit is the Mythos Germania exposition. Though this small exposition is meant to show "the disrespect the nazi's had for Berlin" it can also have another function, if you skip the propaganda!
It shows many maps and largescale foto's of Berlin between 1933 and 1945 that I found very interesting and the maquette of Germania that was built for the film "Der Untergang". Though not as large as the original built for Hitler himself, it is very nice to see that vision of the future 'Welthaupsstadt Germania' in 3-D!

The exposition is located on the far corner of the holocaust monument as seen from the Adlon Hotel. Walking from the Reischstag to the Führerbunker you will come right past it. It will cost 6 Euro's (if I remember correctly) to get in and I found that well worth it.

The holocaust monument I also found to be a must see in its own silly right. The perfect example of modern nonsensical correctness! Visit Sachsenhausen (or travel a little further North on that same road and visit Ravensbrück) to see 'monuments' concerning the holocaust that dó have a purpose.

cheers,

Paul