What ever you do, don't

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Richard Hargreaves
Author

What ever you do, don't

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

post pictures of dead Germans on the Panzer Archiv forum...

I put some pictures of Atlantic Wall dead on the Normandy section and got a right kicking for being insensitive to the dead etc etc. :oops:
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: What ever you do, don't

Post by phylo_roadking »

Um...like it or not, it's a bit hard to avoid the fact of life (death) that there are casualties in war... :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Richard Hargreaves
Author

My argument entirely... It seems rather odd to discuss the minutiae of battles yet baulk at seeing the consequences of them. Alles oder nichts...
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Ah! The PC world of today!

Show the hardware, no matter how destructive it might be... BUT! what ever you do don't show the victims :?
(unless they are terrorists) :wink:

My wife!: If the oldest kid wants to see (and buy!) Saw I, II & III...OK! BUT don't let him watch dads war movies... :(
Does it make sense? Not to me!

waleed
Richard Hargreaves
Author

I think what makes me angry is that I've posted some of these images here and on other fora. They're not pleasant, to be sure, but then the Falaise pocket wasn't exactly a Sunday afternoon stroll. Had the images been American, British, French, Polish dead, I would have no compunctions about posting them either. How can you study war yet not wish to look it in the face?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Both wish - and be obligated to.

Thinking or believing or avoiding knowing that war DOESN'T mean death and suffering...is the first step to letting another one start by default. When people stop remembering - or CHOOSE to stop remembering - what war really means...then they are on the road to believing that it's JUST "politics by another means"... :shock:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

No one here has said anything though.....have they? So long as you have a warning in your heading.
Have we seen these pics?
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Richard Hargreaves
Author

I've posted some of the images here (all appear in my book anyway). The one they really took exception to was:

It is a gruesome image, no two ways about it, but it also shows just how grim the Falaise pocket (most pictures I've seen of Falaise are burned-out vehicles, rather than of the dead).

Reminds me a lot of this one from Kuwait:

You can change the means of war, but not the effect on man... :(
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

No different than that picture from WWII of the Japanese Tankers' head that is burned and mounted on an Allied tank. I believe it was in a Time/Life Photo book from the 80's.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.