What do you think?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Jock
Associate

What do you think?

Post by Jock »

Hello Folks,

I have a slightly interesting subject I have been researching recently, and I'm wondering whether to go ahead with it. Now, I "think" I know the circumstances of a certain mans death, and there is a slight story behind it. The crux of the matter is, to flesh out this story, I must contact this guys family, and tell them he was not just KIA, but...KIA, in suspicious circumstances.

It's a incident that is well known, but one I'm wanting to go a bit deeper on. I'm just not sure whether to take this story to his family or not. Thoughts?

PS - Feck this cloak and dagger. I believe I know which American AB Sgt. was shot by Lt. Ron Speirs on 6/6, and think it makes a minorly interesting HUMINT story...

Cheers,
Jock
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: What do you think?

Post by phylo_roadking »

Jock, I THINK that if you're intending to write this up or publish it - you're obligated to contact them? Depends on the laws of the nation they're living in, of course. But it would be worth getting a "proper" opinion on that.

The other thing of course is the courtesy of telling them what you've found out - but check with them first if they WANT to know more...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Phylo,

The actual evidence is mildly sensational. The actual story resides in discovering the mans character. I have a slight hunch there might have been a personality clash between Speirs and the Sgt. After all, one doesn't make Sgt. in the AB if they are a complete d*ck?

PS - Hence, there is no story without tracking the family down...

PPS - Not really making myself clear...I want to track them down, just don't want to tread on too many toes...Y'see?

PPPS - Although, offer me a 20k book deal, and watch me tread those toes! Haha! :D

Cheers,
Last edited by Jock on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Well, it's chicken-an-egg... you're going to have to track them down anyway to ask them if they want to know more...
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

So, Phylo...This family only knows their son was 'KIA'...I can either A) Tell them the truth, or B) BS them, to get details of his life. I'm not really too down with the latter, TBH.

I'm not really sure what to do. I think they would like to know the truth, especially as I'm not sure he would come out all that badly. But...I dunno :D

TIA, and Cheers,
Jock
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I would recommend doing as much digging as possible before contacting the family. Have all your research done. They cannot forbid you from going ahead with the research or publishing. The worst they could do is refuse to help you. You can get a lot of his background information from the archives, a) if the records weren't destroyed, and b) you know where to dig.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Michael Miller / ABR
Author

Post by Michael Miller / ABR »

Very, very interesting indeed.

Do you know if there's any truth to the story of his murdering German POW's (after sharing smokes with them)? The movie ("Band of Brothers") tends to leave one hanging on that point.

I wouldn't worry about their toes. I think they'd want to know the truth.

As I'm sure you already know, Ron Speirs died last year.

~ Mike
"I am a historian before I am a Christian; my object is simply to find out how the things actually occurred."

~Leopold von Ranke, 19th Century German Historian
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Hi Mike,

I don't think that the shooting of the POW's happened (IE, 20-30 POW's killed) - the hardest piece of evidence is Don Malarkey (I think) hearing a tommy gun firing on D-Day, around the time of the incident. I think Spiers summed it up best with his quote, something along the lines of it being better for discipline, had the men believed it. In saying that though, I think there is more to come on both 'story fronts'. As they say, there is no smoke without fire, and there is a definate hint of smoke in that story.

RE, the Sgt, finding his family may require some family tree searching, but I'm aware of his place/date of birth, and this is before contacting the NA directly. It could be an interesting wee story to research.

I'll send you a PM through the week. Possibly we could double team this story?

Cheers,
Jock