First use of mg42

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

EK II wrote:According to my information, the very first field use of the MG42 was during the defence of the Mius river line in southern Russia against the Soviet winter offensive of 1941-42.

A few examples had reached the German frontline troops and were proven highly effective against Soviet human-wave attacks.

That´s possible. If You mean the MG 39/41 how the 4. prototype was called. 1,500 from this type were produced and heavy field tested during 1941. :wink:
After some modifications, it was officially produced as MG 42 since januar or febuar 1942.
(Same source.)

Sven.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

10PD had 72 MG42 on 1 Oct 42, and went to Tunisia.

Roger
EK II

Post by EK II »

SvenW,

It probably must have been the MG39/41. The number you quote (1,500) seems to ring a bell.

From what I've read, the Leibsstandarte received the MG42 in time for the defence of the Mius. That would seem to "click" with the practice of providing Waffen SS units with the newest and best hardware.
SvenW
Contributor

Post by SvenW »

EK II wrote:SvenW,

It probably must have been the MG39/41. The number you quote (1,500) seems to ring a bell.

From what I've read, the Leibsstandarte received the MG42 in time for the defence of the Mius. That would seem to "click" with the practice of providing Waffen SS units with the newest and best hardware.

This special part of information is maybe "lost" in cause of "political correctness". The authors were members/former members of the NVA, the lecturer/reader was Egon Krenz. 8)

Sven.
EK II

Post by EK II »

Ironically enough, the MG42 brought a whole new set of problems with it.

I saw an interview with an Ostfront veteran who noted that the weapon's high firing rate meant that his unit was cronically short of ammunition.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

EKII, please don't perpetuate this myth that the WSS got preferential treatment for weapons and equipment. Those of us who have gone to the trouble of deep research know different. I'd like to put you in a room with Eicke of Totenkopf Division for an hour or so. He would put you right in no uncertain terms. His Supply Officer had to go around 'stealing' stuff.

Roger
EK II

Post by EK II »

I'm not perpetuating any myth, Mr. Griffiths, but merely stating the facts as I know them.

In 1941-42, when Germany was at its height politically and militarily, Reichsfuhrer Himmler would have made sure that the Waffen-SS received preferential treatment in recruits, equipment, weapons and so forth. You'll have to quote me some of your "deep research" to make me back away from that point of view. If you CAN do so, I will happily apologise for my ignorance 8) .

HOWEVER, as the war progressed, and Germany's ability to sustain the war effort disintegrated, it is, of course, clear that no amount of preferential treatment on Himmler's part could compensate for the realities of operations at the front.

Of course Eicke's Supply Officer went around stealing things. So did Supply Officers in EVERY theatre and on ALL sides of the conflict.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

As you wish. As RFSS Himmler said, "you can agree, you can disagree, it makes no difference".

Roger
Ebusitanus

Re: First use of mg42

Post by Ebusitanus »

I was just reading Rudolf Lehmann´s "bible" about the LSSAH history and read with interest how in early February 1942 when the Wachbattalion LSSAH in Berlin was sent to the Lenningrad front as an emergency messure to the disaster happening on the eastern front, this battalion was equiped with the first models of MG42.