RAD Flag

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
SOTD

RAD Flag

Post by SOTD »

This may seem rather run of the mill, but I am not sure of this flags specific use. Perhaps the size may be indicative ( such as in the US...a post flag, garrison flag, and so on.). When I got it, many years back, the seller proclaimed it to be a RAD Female Camp Flag. Hmmmm, Ok. I bought it because it was large, which was cool enough for me at the time. I have really put much thought to it, but now I may be amongst those with immense data on many TR subjects, so if anyone may have an idea, relating to the layout, and etc..
It measures roughly 12 ft by 4 ft. It is constructed of two main pieces, each printed with half of the white field and emblem(so, someone was sewing decigned fabrics into a seamless image before Nik-Nik shirts...I know, a bit arcane, and dating myself!). At the corners along the hoist are triangles of red cloth for reinforcement, the hoist itself typical of TR flags, here with integral hooks. There are no size or makers markings on the white hoist sheath.
Has this been seen by anyone?
Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
rad 3.JPG
rad 3.JPG (57.04 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
rad 2.JPG
rad 2.JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
resizd flag.JPG
resizd flag.JPG (60.12 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: RAD Flag

Post by fridgeman »

Im pretty sure this is a flag related to "Landjahr"/"country year" groups.

The Landjahr was a service young people could join, and in contrary to many others, there were Landjahr groups
for boys or girls. They were sent as groups to the countryside, and helped the local farmers with their
work on the fields.

The Landjahr itself stood in contrary to RAD, and was organized by HJ.
Fraulein Valkyrie

Post by Fraulein Valkyrie »

Hello Mike,

It is indeed a flag of the RADwJ - the Reichsarbeitsdienst für die weibliche Jugend (Women's Labor Service). It's not that uncommon to see them for sale, though I'm not familiar with the sewing you speak of; usually they're simply one piece, with the central design printed.

I've posted a picture below, and for more information see http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=111057

The Landjahr which fridgeman speaks of is associated with the BdM, not with the RADwJ.

~FV
Attachments
Fahnefeier 3.jpg
Fahnefeier 3.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 7261 times
Fraulein Valkyrie

Post by Fraulein Valkyrie »

Thought you might like to see another RADwJ flag "in use":
Attachments
RADwJUniform & Fahne.jpg
RADwJUniform & Fahne.jpg (67.27 KiB) Viewed 7239 times