TeNo • Technische Nothilfe -LAPEL Pins EXAMPLES-INFO

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo • Technische Nothilfe -LAPEL Pins EXAMPLES-INFO

Post by dblmed1 »

This is a Thread, which can be used as the “Home Base” to coordinate the Information, as well as shown Examples, of what is currently known, about the 2 “Types” of TeNo Lapel Pins. (Along with discussing the Variations, found in these TeNo Lapel Pins.

(I would suggest that a Separate Thread should be used, IMO, for discussion & display, of 1919-1923 TeNo Honor Badges (TN Ehrenabzeichens) – so that we can better appreciate the Examples & their Differences, within each of the groups.) Each is Special & thus needs its own "Home" thread.

This Thread was started by Kash. “…I just picked up a TeNo member's badge (stickpin) from a large collection of pins. This badge is described in "One People, One Reich" by J.R. Cone (page 58). According to this reference, "In all 79,230 of the enameled member's badges were given out according to the registration books. Placed into production in 1933, it was discontinued in 1937 though some badges were sporadically given through 1938. The TeNo Member's Badge had to be returned on the death of its holder, when the serial number was dropped. This is probably why so few can be found today since the organization took possession of the badges. Interested collectors please consider this badge very scarce in any condition." The number stamped on the reverse of the badge is 46504.

My question: Is it possible to trace the stamped member's number off of the back of a TeNo badge in a way similar to tracing the member's number on stamped on SS daggers? Does any one have access to the TeNo's Registration Books?...” Posted by Kash
dblmed1
Supporter

Re: TeNo • Technische Nothilfe -LAPEL Pins EXAMPLES-INFO

Post by dblmed1 »

Hi Kash, Yes, the TeNo - TN - Technische or Technischen Nothilfe Pins and Badges are quite fascinating, as you note.
Let's focus upon the TeNo LAPEL PINS...

You are absolute correct regarding Cone's Pin reference: "One People, One Reich" by J.R. Cone (page 58). According to this reference, "In all 79,230 of the enameled member's badges were given out according to the registration books. Placed into production in 1933, it was discontinued in 1937 though some badges were sporadically given through 1938. The TeNo Member's Badge had to be returned on the death of its holder, when the serial number was dropped. This is probably why so few can be found today since the organization took possession of the badges. Interested collectors please consider this badge very scarce in any condition."

Cone does NOT, however show a PHOTO of the Entire Pin (showing only the TN Logo part - in B&W / S&W). A Nadel / Lapel, long pointed pin protrusion - is conspicuous Absent, or perhaps the author was unaware that there were 2 different models of this TN Pin? This same 'Error' is repeated in the renowned Heering / Hüsken's 'Pin Bible' - the "Handbuch der Abzeiched deutscher Organisationen 1871-1945" - where on page 161, only ONE (1) TN Red-Orange/Black Enamel pin is shown. (And is referenced as ID Number 9711d on page 160 and 161. We now know that there are 2 Enamel pins! So, which One (of the TWO Types) are Cone & rHeering / Hüsken eferencing?)

This is why German dealers, and others, use the 9711d number to identify BOTH the TeNo Enamel pin, with the lapel pin (Nadel) and without it! So, obviously something must NOT be correct, and that is indeed the case with TeNo / TN Enamel Pins.

Research (and TR period Examples) has shown that there are 2 TeNo Enamel Pin "Types", as we are all aware - and that:

• the TeNo Enamel Pin (with horizontal catch - NO Lapel Pin is in fact, IMO the TeNo Membership pin, the one which the CONE reference identifies, and further states that "79,230 of the enameled member's badges were given out." This model has 'Ges. Gesch' along with (99% of the time) an "A" below the hand punched number. Assmann did have the 'Ges. Gesch' for one model of the TeNo Enamel pin, but the "A" does not match the familiar Assmann type "A" - so the maker is still felt to be unknown. (IMO, there were actually a number of makers. I base this on many differences which have been noted by studying many examples of this model pin.)
................. and
• the TeNo Enamel Pin (with Lapel Pin configuration) is actually the TeNo Zivil Abzeichen model. (Serial numbers of this model Lapel Pin Model, are recorded into the 180,xxx range, and perhaps they even go higher? So, referring to CONE's documented numbering of 79,230 pins - Then, this model can NOT be the Membership pin. Also, this Enamel Lapel Pin model does NOT have the "A" present, but it does have 'Ges. Gesch' - but in a slightly different position on the back of the pin.
................. of interest, BOTH TeNo Enamel Pin models have been found in a 'Crackled' / Translucent Red/Orangish Enamel - & - in a 'Solid' / Opaque Red/Orangish Enamel (1st described as such, to my knowledge, by noted pin collector, Don Scowen.) The Translucent models are 'thought' to be the earliest ones, by most pin collectors.

(1) So, regarding your Referenced TeNo Pin...... "The number stamped on the reverse of the Pin is 46504."
••• If it has a lapel pin - it is the Zivil TeNo model.
••• If it has NO lapel pin & has the horizontal catch & the letter "A" - then it is a TeNo membership pin.

(2) Regarding your question: "Is it possible to trace the stamped member's number off of the back of a TeNo badge in a way similar to tracing the member's number on stamped on SS daggers? Does any one have access to the TeNo's registration Books?"

•••Unfortunately, the THW - Technisches Hilfwerke (which has the remaining TN records) reports that they have no documents related to the tracing of "Numbers" for EITHER the TeNo Member's Pins, or for the TeNo Honor Badges (1919-1923). So, the ID search goes on.

More information about both of the the TeNo Enamel Pins, as well as the TeNo Honor Badges (1919-1923) - Ehrenzeichen der TN, is found in the book, "Police, Vol. 2" (Bender) by Angolia / Hugh Page Taylor, Chapter 19 the TN • Technische Nothilfe, which was released in April, 2009. This book goes a long way, in answering a LOT of questions regarding the TN / TeNo ... Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
Heering-Hüsken Catalog - 2 Pages für TeNo Pins
Heering-Hüsken Catalog - 2 Pages für TeNo Pins
TN Pins HH Book.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 14105 times
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo LAPEL Pins, Zivil -OPAQUE & TRANSLUCENT Types

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo LAPEL Pins, Zivil - OPAQUE & TRANSLUCENT
- the 2 Sub-Types of this 'Model' (distinguished, by the long Needle / Nadel / pin, for Attachment.)

The Translucent & the Opaque Types of the Zivil Pins (Zivilabzeichen) are shown for comparison. (Both Front & Reverse.)
Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
2  TeNo  Zivilabzeichen  Pins - of the Sub-Types: <br />OPAQUE  &amp;  TRANSLUCENT
2 TeNo Zivilabzeichen Pins - of the Sub-Types:
OPAQUE & TRANSLUCENT
TN Pins Zivil-F&R.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 14100 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo Membership Pin - Enamel - Opaque Type

For comparison, here is an example of the TN Membership Pin, of the Enamel Opaque Type.
(Distinguished by the Horizontal "Catch' & the "A" Marking, on the Reverse.)

Examples of this model are also found in Translucent (“Crackled Finish”) Enamel. (They are
‘usually’ found with a very low number – another Don Scowen observation.)
.....Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TeNo Membership Pin - Enamel  - Opaque Type
TeNo Membership Pin - Enamel - Opaque Type
TN Pins MBR-Opaque.jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 14096 times
dblmed1
Supporter

An Ortsgruppe of TeNo Pins - for Study

Post by dblmed1 »

Here's An Ortsgruppe of TeNo Pins, to spur further Study & Discussion. (NOT the best Photos. I just scanned my Riker Box of TN Pins!)

So little is 'really' known about the different TeNo • TN Pins, that I decided that in order to carefully study them - that I needed a LOT of Examples. (The TN Chapter 19 in "Police, Vol. 2" was a big help in TN Pin knowledge.)

My 'belief' is that there were several makers of both the Opaque and the Translucent types of both Nadel (Lapel Pin) and the Horizontal Catch Pin.

In the following Images, you'll be able to see (I hope!) that there are some subtle differences in both Construction and in Appearance.

I'm midway in my semi-scientific 'Study' of these TN Pins, and I do Not yet have a full analysis of what I have observed.
However, I have noted some differences:

1. in the Size of the Pins.
2. in the Width of the long bar of the 'N'
3. in the Size of the TN Hammer
4. in the Depth of the application of the Red Enamel
5. and some other Differences.

Have a look, and see "IF" you also - see some Differences. I'll Post some higher Res. Photos of the TN Pins, by Type.
Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TeNo Pins - A group of Examples, for Study
TeNo Pins - A group of Examples, for Study
TN Pins-Lg Group.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 14090 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Review of TeNo Translucent Zivil & Member Type PINS

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo Pins-Translucent-w-Nadel + Horizontal Catch Types

Here is a grouping of TN Pins- 7 are Translucent-w-Nadel + 3 are Translucent Horizontal Catch (Membership) Types
(Nadel / Needle - is the familiar TeNo Lapel (Zivil) Pin Type.)

Again one sees a number of Similarities as well as some Differences.
(All pins are mine except for the Trans. Horizontal Example, which belongs to my friend Wagner (Serge).
....Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TeNo Translucent - Zivil (w Nadel) &amp; Member (w Catch)<br />Types of Lapel PINS
TeNo Translucent - Zivil (w Nadel) & Member (w Catch)
Types of Lapel PINS
TeNo Translucent 2 Types PINS.jpg (85.27 KiB) Viewed 14084 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Study of TeNo Pins-Opaque-w-Nadel (Lapel Pins)

Post by dblmed1 »

Study of TeNo Pins-Opaque-w-Nadel (Lapel Pins

The most commonly found examples (by Far) are the TeNp Pins-Opaque-w-Nadel (Lapel Pins)

• Why the different Construction?
• Why the different Types?

The TN Pins-Opaque-w-Nadel offer the largest range of subtle differences, or it may be that because t
hey are more commonly found - that one is able to pick up on those differences?

When I use the word "Common" - it's with reference to TeNo Pin Type, as ANY TeNo Pin is a Scarce Item
to find, and especially in Good condition! ...Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TN Pins Opaque-a Group to Study
TN Pins Opaque-a Group to Study
TN Pins Opaque-Grp.jpg (120.91 KiB) Viewed 14081 times
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo Translucent Nadel Pins - Noted Differences

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo Translucent Nadel Pins - Noted Differences

Let's look at the "Rarer" TRANSLUCENT TeNo NADEL types 1st, for Study.

Starting w the FRONT SIDE, as I think that you will be surprised at the Number of noted Differences (and I haven't listed ALL that I have observed.) You'll note that the Variations are a 'mix and match' - with different Pins having Similarities with others, as well as significant Differences. This makes "Typing" them quite a challenge - a work in progress! ........

Let's Focus on the FRONTS 1st - - - then I'll post the BACKS if there is interest in proceeding.

When you Look at the Differences, it becomes apparent that More than one Maker was at work on producing the TeNo Lapel Pins. (Even the MUCH less common <5,500 TN Honor Badges - - - had at least 3 Makers. - 2 Named & 1 Unmarked.)
I'll grant that I am not an authority of TR Pin manufacturing techniques. Some variance could be seen within a specific maker. But, there are so many Absolutely Significant Variances, that one is lead to the supposition that many Makers were involved. I've learned that his general model TN Pin had a short life span of issuance of 1935-1938.

LEGEND: I used A, B, C, D to Locate the 4 Axes (Shown on Pin # 1) for reference of Comments,
so you know where on the Pin (A, B, C, D) I am referring to, in the below Photo.
Pins # 1 - 7 are Shown at the Top, and then with # References to the Pins in the Comments below.

A good buddy told me that I got into measuring the thickness of "Angel's Wings" when it come to TeNo Items, and perhaps that is the case. I find these TeNo Pins to be utterly beautiful - as well as fascinating to study. Don Scowen is the 'Master' of Pins, IMO, and his work has encouraged me to look deeper at the TN Pins & study them. Hopefully he may join in!

Hopefully, you guys will see many things which I have missed & that will be educational!
PLUS, You May Have Some Other TN Pin Types which I do NOT have Illustrated or Shown.
• Look at your TN Pins to see 'if' they FIT or 'if' they DIFFER, and join in. We can ALL Learn by the exchange of information!

YES, This is a LOT of Information here, and it ONLY Applies to the TeNo Nadel (Zivil) Translucent Types!

TeNo Translucent Nadel Pins - Noted Differences .....Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TeNo Translucent  Nadel PINS - Noted Differences
TeNo Translucent Nadel PINS - Noted Differences
TN Trans Nadel Diffs.jpg (119.86 KiB) Viewed 14073 times
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo Pin "FAKES?" - Just an Opinion

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo Pin "FAKES"

I one found a WebLink for TeNo 'Repro' Pins, and followed it - but it turned out to be a dead Link. My conclusion is that 'Yes' someone was selling some Fake / Repros, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get one to examine.

Specific Points of a TeNo Lapel Pin - Which (IMO), a Collector should Consider:

1. NO SMOOTH SHAFT / NADEL: I would shy away from Nadel Pins with a Smooth Shaft - as the Shaft was meant to be Knurled, so a Smooth shaft is inconsistent. (However, others would argue that the Smooth shaft could be a 'period replacement.' True.) But, for me, the Knurled Shaft is a better bet, when considering the purchase of a TeNo Pin.

2. NUMBERS: Personally, I'd shy away from 'Non-Numbered' Lapel Pins, as just my preference - as 'Some' Non-Numbered TeNo Pins are going to be GOOD. (But, you can also find the Numbered ones, so I'd buy those types, IMO.)

3. Size of Numbers: At this point in my 'study' - I haven't found a concern for the SIZE of the Numbers used (since we see Number Size Variations on the TN Ehrenzeichens (Honor Badges.) By my Observation, the Translucent Types - more often have Larger Numbers, and a Lower Sequence Numbers. This may, or may Not, be significant - time and observation of LOTS of TeNo Translucent Pins will tell us whether this stands up, as a Criteria.

4. Enamel Heat Test: One of my plans to 'Test' the Enamel of TN Pins, by carefully inserting a HOT Needle into a small corner of the
Enamel surface. A Collector once commented that he felt that the 'Enamel' on Fake Pins 'might' a type of Plastic - so a HOT Needle should penetrate it. (The thought is that Fakers 'MAY NOT' take the time consuming step of Heat Enamelling?) I have NOT done this yet - but it's on my List of future tests to perform.

5. CHEAP PRICE TN PIN: When the price is $25-$50 and is 'too good to be true' - it's a Red Flag to me. Yes, you sometimes get a real bargain, but on Dealer Sites - they KNOW the prices of these pins (so WHY a Low Price?) Examine the bargain priced ones very closely - as on http://www.Militaria321 and http://www.GunBroker. (You MAY get what you pay for!)

At this point in time, I also have more Questions than Answers about TeNo Lapel Pins!
(But, by studying them, like we are doing, "Maybe" we'll find some Answers.) .... Dave/dblmed1
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo 'Fakes' -Let's Check REVERSE of my Translucents

Post by dblmed1 »

TN 'Fakes' - Let's Check REVERSE of the TN Nadel Translucents 1st

First, Let's Look at the REVERSE of the TN Nadel Translucents (in the Same Order, as I previously Posted.)

Just like on the FRONTS, those BACK Variations start to pop up ... Again!

1. GES. GESCH. - I Like to see the PERIOD (.) after the letters, as it mimics the Horizontal Catch TN Pin models, which I believe are authentic. Also, I like to see 'Crisp' Letters, and not the 'Blurr' seen on the No-Period Letters. (This 'Anomaly' IMO, is only seen on Pins @ 2, 5 & 7.)

2. LOCATION of the "G. G.: - I like to set it near to the top edge of the TN Pin (just like on the Horizontals.)
• is SEEN on PINS #: 1, 3, 4 & 6
• is NOT Seen on PINS #: 2, 5 & 7

3. SERIAL NUMBER - It is believed to be factual, that the Serial Numbers were 'hand stamped' just like on the TeNo Honor Badges. Thus, one would Expect to see some height / spacing Variations. (Hand Stamping.)
• is SEEN on PINS #: 1, 3, 4 & 6
• is NOT Seen on PINS #: 2, 5 & 7

4. DEPTH of Serial Number - I prefer to see a definite 'Hard Strike' vs. a 'Light Strike' as a preference. A TN-Mann 'whacked' these with a Jeweler's Hammer (Hopefully!) & there should be quite an Indentation for the Numbers, IMO.

5. ATTACHMENT RONDEL (Circle) - I prefer to see the Larger Size, rather than the Small Size. (Some exceptions, but Large is the one seen on "ID'd" TeNo Lapel Pins, IMO.
• LARGE RONDEL • SEEN on PINS #: 1, 3, 4 & 6
• SMALL RONDEL • SEEN on PINS #: 2, 5 & 7

6. RED FLAG - is the Large SQUARE found at the base of Nadel / Long Pin - before it joins the securing Rondel. (This is a finding to seriously consider as to NOT Purchase that TN Pin, IMO). However, as in all of this, I've seen exceptions, like PIN 6 which has a small and 'fine' tapering SQ. Base.
• "Red Flag" LG. Square is SEEN on PINS #: 2, 5 & 7

7. KNURLING of Long Nadel / Needle - I prefer to find the Open & Raised Knurling Type, as seen on PIN # 3, when I have a choice. But, again there are exceptions. Smooth, is generally a "Red Flag" unless all else checks out to be OK. Very 'tight & smooth' Knurling is suspicious to me, IMO.

8. COLOR of Reverse - These Pins had some type of a Nickel Plating / Finish - so, with years of Oxidation, we'd expect to see some signs of darkening. I like to see an 'almost Golden' tone to the Backs. (a Personal Preference.)

EXAMPLE of a "Probable" REPRO TeNo Lapel Pin:
PIN # 2 - is a REPRO, IMO, for these reasons:
a. Back finish is speckled metal & is as 'Shiney' as NEW (Which it is!)
b. Under Hi-Magnification, I see metal grains inside the '934' Numbers -leading me to conclude that it was CAST, with the Numbers already in place!
c. I don't like the shallow Knurling of the Nadel.
d. The FRONT is also 'too New' and too shiney.

??? WHY Did I BUY this TeNo Pin??? - - - in order to Study and to Learn from it.

Are PINS # 5 & 7 also 'Fake?' - I hold them as 'suspicious' - but not yet moved over into the "Fake" category.

The Large Numbers & Low Numbers come out as suspect, in this study of only 7 TN Translucent Pins. However, I 'believe' that this configuration was also a correct one, for the 'Real' TN Pins. I've seen other Large Numbers & Low Numbers TeNo Pins which I feel are Legit. ones.

I 'believe' that it was copied from an Original TeNo Lapel Pin, by a clever "Faker" who had access - to the REAL Pin.

I 'offer' ALL of the Above (and my general Comments) as one who is a dedicated TeNo Collector and a TN Mini-Historian, and not as an "Authority" on PINS. Just my personal feelings, based upon Handling & Studying a large number of these TeNo Items.

STUDY These, & I would like to hear the Opinions of Other Collectors. .............. Txs... Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
TN Pin Study - ? Some &quot;Fakes&quot;
TN Pin Study - ? Some "Fakes"
TN Pin FAKE Study.jpg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 14064 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Did ASSMANN 'Make' a TeNo Lapel Pin?

Post by dblmed1 »

Did ASSMANN 'Make' a TeNo Lapel Pin?

A friend, Mike Clayton (WAF) Posted these comments:

".... Here is the TeNo (member's) Pin from the Assmann catalog. (I was surprised that I could take a good close up with my camera) Check out that Hammer!

• Obvious flare at the [Lower] End of the handle.
• Even has the little Bump on top where the handle would protrude. [past the top edge of the Middle of the "Hammer Head"]
• And the "N" also looks very stylized.

Not usually what you encounter with these pins. What do you think? ...."
Attachments
TeNo Pin - from the ASSMANN Catalog
TeNo Pin - from the ASSMANN Catalog
TN Pin Assmann.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 14055 times
Last edited by dblmed1 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dblmed1
Supporter

Assmann TeNo Pin - ? 'Probably' Was Not Produced

Post by dblmed1 »

Assmann TeNo Pin - ? 'Probably' Was Not Produced, IMO.

Mike, The Assmann Catalog page with a TN Opaque Enamel Pin, is Ultra-Distinctive, as your great Photo of it shows! (It is listed as a Zivilabzeichen, which would make it a Lapel / Nadel Type ("Assuming That" Cone was correct, in his reference - from which "TYPES" have been deduced.)

I have NOT seen a TeNo Pin (either Opaque or Translucent) which has these Assmann characteristics. Since the Assmann Catalog lists it as "Not Available" - I do NOT believe that the Assmann Co. made the TeNo Pins (certainly Not as shown.) But, like the Dagger "Prototypes" - Yes, there could well be a VERY few number of these types, just done up for "Demos" for purposes the 1935 TeNo Lapel Pin Contract perhaps.

The Assmann Catalog TeNo Pin "Type" is one which has yet to be seen (But, no one could have seen ALL of the 180,xxx TeNo Nadel / Needle Pins, which have been found to have been Numbered!) Just because this Assmann 'Type" has Not yet been seen - does Not mean that it doesn't Exist. So, we could be in store for an unexpected Surprise!

That Assmann style of the Handle of the Hammer, is pretty much like the vast majority of the familiar Silver TN Pins, with a bit wider Flare at the Handle Base. But, the 'Bob / Protrusion' on top of the middle of the Hammer Head is another unique feature.

MAYBE, Some Collector does HAVE one of these ASSMANN TeNo Lapel Pin 'Types' in his / her Collection? BUT .... is yet unaware of an Assmann Connection? Great Pick-Up on a Unique and Distinctive feature! ....Dave/dblmed1
dblmed1
Supporter

Post by dblmed1 »

Mike, You really got me to thinking, and I looked again at the TN Pins, in Littlejohn's "Defending the Reich." A - GREAT Book, for TeNo, and other Police & Related Reference - but a very SAD little part of 1 Page on the TeNo Pins. :(

LJ used "Photos" of Books / Publications, with the TN Pins, & NOT Photos of the "REAL" TN Pins! (This is clearly evident, with respect to the early TN Pins, where a 'funny looking' CIRCLE, surrounds those Pins! This is EXACTLY the way those Pins were shown in the Heering/Huesken's Small Handbuch "der Abzeichen deutscher Organisationen 1871-1945" which is Old, and printed in Black & White! (We do deparately need a NEW TR Pin Book!) Also, the TN Enamel Pin, was shown in a B & W Photo (very old reference, again.) IF you look carefully at that Pin in LJ, you
will see that it is from the Photo Page, as the ASSMANN 'Prototype' Pin!
So, great Detective work, Mike!

"I've looked at other organizations in the catalog and it seems that the ones that are "nicht verkauflich" (not for sale) are always members badges." This is a great observation!
"My thinking is: Those badges were sold on an individual basis." For TN Pins, it is my belief, that they were issued through a TeNo HQ heirarchy instead. (No Proof though.)

"TeNo pins being stamped first with the serial number." Yes, they were Hand Stamp Numbered, but the inconsistencies of Numbering Types, leads one to believe that this may have been at a local level, and NOT at the Manufacturer. (Speculation, and not factually proven.)

"I believe that serial numbered pins had to be returned upon the death of the member. Is that correct?" This is correct.

But ONLY for the ? 78-79,xxx Pins, which are noted in CONE's "Pin Book"Reference. Hugh Page Taylor, in "Police, Vol. 2" :[] makes a very good case for the TeNo Nadel / Lapel Pins, to have been for a Different Purpose, than the more rarely seen, Horizontal Catch TN Enamel Models.

The TeNo Nadel Type Pins have been seen up to the 180,xxx Number Range - so, IF CONE is Correct, this is NOT the TN Pin Type which had to be returned at death.

The TeNo Horizontal Pin Types have not been found, to exceed the 79,xxx Number Range (at least, Not YET!), so THIS Type, is 'probably' the ones which are noted in CONE, (IMO). Still, lots to learn about these however! Your comments on the Assmann TN Pin are 'spot on' and Congrats for finding that!

TeNo Pins are a fun 'Mystery' Subject, but we are slowly learning more about them, from TR Period documentation.
........ Txs, Dave/dblmed1
dblmed1
Supporter

TeNo Enamel Pin Manufacturing

Post by dblmed1 »

TeNo Enamel Pin Manufacturing

Thanks Mike! Like you, I am just one of a number of Collectors who have a special interest in the TeNo. I am fortunate to know a group of TN "Net Buddies" who Collect, and Share their latest finds & latest TN Information. Hugh Page Taylor is the one who 'really' knows the TN, as "Police, VOL. 2" readily attests.

I also like to deal with Facts, as references to our Collecting Hobby. In the past, TN Fact-Finding was almost non existent. Today, Researchers are going into the big "Bundesarchiv" of TR Photos & Publications, and are sifting through TN Data. I do believe that a Number of TN 'Discoveries' will come out of this work.

All that I have read (Factual) about the manufacturing of the TN enamel pins comes from the citation of "CONE" - as is also printed in "Police, VOL. 2." Essentially, THAT:

A) a Copper Base Outline, in the 'Shape' of the TN Pin was 1st made. (CONE does not say HOW? - was it by a Mould? or a Punch Press Stamping? or Fitted by Hand? Was the 'Shape' Flat 1st & then Vaulted? The HOW, remains an UNKNOWN.).
B) Then, the HOLLOW Copper Shape was Nickel Plated.
C) Then, (I Assume) the two different colors (RED & BLACK) of liquid Enamel, were carefully poured into the proper recesses.
D) Then, (I Assume) that the Enamel Filled Shapes were Heat Treated, to firm up & 'cure' the Enamel, to give it a Hard Finish.
E) Then, CONE Says that a 'Nickel Wash' was applied over it.
F) CONE does Not comment on the Nadel or Horizontal Catch Attachment.

Numbering? The 'Great Mystery!' The ANSWER is that No One REALLY Knows, for certain, HOW or WHEN the Numbers were added! It is all speculation.

1). Logic, would say that the Numbers 'could' have been applied by the Manufacturer, as a Series of Numbers which were supplied to them.
2). Logic, would also say, that since the Pins are Vaulted (Slightly Curved) - that the best TIME to number them, would be before a NADEL was attached (& was thus in the way - for applying a Number! (But, some Collectors have told me of hooked / horse shoe type devices, which can apply a Number, by fitting around the Nadel.)
3). It has always bothered me also - that someone "Hand Stamped" a number onto the Pins, having an Enamel Front! Not too logical, but was that done? Don't know.
4). What is known, is that the Numbers are often a bit out of alignment, thus the conclusion that they were "Hand Stamped" - (i.e. like on TN Honor Badges.)
5). Also known, is that there are MANY different Numbering 'Types' seen. I think that this notation, has lead many Collectors and Authors, to conclude that the numbers were added, after being Manufactured. (However, "IF" we accept that there were MANY Manufacturers - & each was 'issued' a Series of Numbers to 'Punch' - then the 'done at the Manufacturer' theory makes sense.) But, this is Not Proven by Facts.

For me, I am not SURE WHERE or WHEN the Numbering took place, for the TN Pins.

I'd LOVE to see a great updated and in Color TR PIN Book, written by Don Scowen or Derjager, or other Pin Authorities - we certainly NEED One. Plus, they understand the nuances and peculiarities of TR Pin manufacturing. Maybe it will happen?

I think that the "TeNo Book" has been written by Hugh Page Taylor, in the "Pol. VOL. 2!" It would be HARD to get it any better. In the meantime, we can 'bombard' HUGH with 'new TN Discoveries' which might make it into the Appendices of "POL, Vol. 3!" Send Hugh ANY new info. and Photos!

Maybe Hugh will write an almost TN Only Book, some day - but it would almost need to be coupled with another TR Org., so that there would be enough 'Sale' interest for a Publisher. ... Txs, Dave/dblmed
Attachments
TN POL, Vol 2.jpg
TN POL, Vol 2.jpg (41.54 KiB) Viewed 14035 times