LSSAH and ani-partisan warfare...

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
2311Marine
Supporter

Post by 2311Marine »

Ok I think we have the PIEPER, PEIPER and the LEIBSTANDARTE and LIEBSTANDARTE thing hashed out.

This way-ward American will make an effort to get that correct. Now, in THE LEIBSTANDARTE, the LSSAH was involved in handling Guerrilla activity in Yugoslavia. From 21.9 - 29.10.1943 involving the 1.Panzergrenadier-Regiment (Reinforced).

cheers
"Devildogs and Leathernecks, Thank God for Ammo Techs!"
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Hi Sid,

It was published in 1966 and I bought it soon after. Another good one is 'Soldiers of Destruction' by Charles W. Sydnor Jnr. The latter is on the Totenkopf Division as you probably know.

Regards,

Roger
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Roger,

I'll look it out.

I had never bought a book specifically on the Waffen-SS until I joined Feldgrau.

What prompted me to do so was the extravagant claims made on behalf of the Waffen-SS by some posters on Feldgrau that they could frequently not substantiate when questioned.

I thought I had better have some reasonable background knowledge so I bought Stein's book because it was cheap and seemed to be well researched. Given that it is (from memory) over 30 years old, its general conclusions seem to hold up well despite the mountain of later publications on the Waffen-SS.

Cheers,

Sid.
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

Hi Sid,

It is a quality book, after all it got published through Cornell UP and Oxford UP. They only publish stuff of high academic quality.

Soldiers of Destruction is of the same mettle.

Regards,

Roger
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

Timo wrote:They do it again and again, and don't realize or care. Yet if we would call their president mister Boesh we would be considered stupid :wink:
Please keep the material OT. Thank you.

Doc
Timo
Patron

Post by Timo »

101stDoc wrote:Please keep the material OT. Thank you.
Given the fact that I started this thread, who are you to decide what's OT?
Former member
Panzerass
Supporter

Post by Panzerass »

Theres a German book called "Verlorene Ehre -Verratene Treue" by Herbert Maeger. He was member of )./SS-PzGrenRgt 1. His unit fought in 1943 against Partisans at the Balkans. They went from Udine in Italy via Gorizia to Istria. there they drove along the adriatic coast to Rieka, where they went left into the mountains of Croatia. there they went to Karlovac and were loaded on a train to Russia in the vicinity of Zagreb.
wombat
Supporter

Post by wombat »

Timo wrote:
They do it again and again, and don't realize or care. Yet if we would call their president mister Boesh we would be considered stupid

Please keep the material OT. Thank you.
we all know that Boesh is wrong :D
RJH57

Re:

Post by RJH57 »

Panzerass wrote:Theres a German book called "Verlorene Ehre -Verratene Treue" by Herbert Maeger. He was member of )./SS-PzGrenRgt 1. His unit fought in 1943 against Partisans at the Balkans. They went from Udine in Italy via Gorizia to Istria. there they drove along the adriatic coast to Rieka, where they went left into the mountains of Croatia. there they went to Karlovac and were loaded on a train to Russia in the vicinity of Zagreb.
My late father (2 Kompanie, I Battallion, 1 SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, "LAH") participated in this brief excursion by the LAH from Italy into Yugoslavia. He said when they were transferred from Russia to Italy after it's defection, they were quartered in a large Chianti Warehouse. Can you imagine :D ? Division commander Sepp Dietrich came by and found everyone, including the guards, stinking drunk. Dietrich flew into rage and ordered the entire regiment to proceed immediately the next morning to Yugoslavia for anti-partisan operation. My father said they didn't encounter any partisans who were afraid of the LAH men. He said they just ate a lot chicken and drank a lot of wine. :wink: