Copying/posting book material

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.

Moderator: Mark C Yerger

Re: Copying/posting book material

Postby Mansal D » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:41 am

Could I post from a book I published or is that still infringement on the publisher who has a right to a percentage as well? :?
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again"

Searching for material from the invasion of Poland, 1939!
Mansal D
Enthusiast

Re:

Postby Vor » Fri May 20, 2011 3:25 pm

John P. Moore wrote:To anyone who insists on taking a liberal interpretation of copyright law when posting photos or other material from copyrighted books or other media I issue the following challenge: Have the courage of your convictions to include your real name and address in every such future post where you engage in that behavior. Don't hide behind some mysterious screen name.

Very late in reply to this, but what you ask for is done every day dozens of times on modeling forums. Myself included.

If someone posts a picture from a book to discuss or a paragraph to demonstrate a point, there has never been an issue to my knowledge. This discussion is what fuels more sales, and the publishers know this. A rising tide lifts all boats.

It is the misguided rigid adherence to copyright that kills innovation. Don't apply what happened in the record industry to history books. They are two completely different forms of art.
Vor
Contributor

Postby John P. Moore » Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Vor - Your comments are noted. Feldgrau is NOT a modeling forum and the copyright holders here don't want their copyrights infringed upon.
John Moore
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Postby Vor » Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm

John P. Moore wrote: copyright holders here e

who?
Vor
Contributor

Postby Vor » Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm

I guess I'm not too familiar with the crimes committed in the past, as this is a really old thread. I'll leave it to you whether or not to bring me up to speed.
Vor
Contributor

Postby lwd » Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 am

It depends on how much is posted and to some extent what the purpose is I believe. There is a fair use provision that allows you to post a limited amount without violating copyright if you follow the provisions of that clause. One of those provisions is giving due credit. Now if it's the author that is posting there may also be contractual restraints base on agreements with the publisher.
lwd
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to SS/Waffen-SS