KIA info ?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
RJH57

KIA info ?

Post by RJH57 »

if anyone has access to Waffen SS casualty list database, I'm seeking information (KIA date) for Helmut Schloss, 2nd Company, I Battallion, 1st SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler". He is the first man on the left in attached photo, taken summer 1943. So his KIA date would have to be sometime afterward. Thanks.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkGpC4yjaS1olA7itX6xLjpvGaHH
Simon H
Associate

Re: KIA info ?

Post by Simon H »

Just checked the VDK grave search and there are no Helmut Schloss/Schlöss listed, is the spelling correct?
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
RJH57

Post by RJH57 »

Simon H wrote:Just checked the VDK grave search and there are no Helmut Schloss/Schlöss listed, is the spelling correct?
thank you so much Simon, I appreciate your reply. If memory serves, quite a few years ago, my father, who is 2nd from the left in the original photo, said the fellow's name was Helmut Schloss and that he was KIA. But my memory could easily be faulty. Wish I had written down the names of the 2 fellows on the right as well {sigh} Can you search your database list just for 2nd Company, I Battallion, 1st SS PanzerGrenadier Regiment, "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler" ? What is the "VDK" in your grave search ? I know my father said Helmut Schloss was KIA in Russia (1943/1944 ?) Thanks so much once again for your reply.
Simon H
Associate

Post by Simon H »

The VDK is the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, the German war graves organisation. You can search there yourself;

http://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche.html
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
RJH57

Post by RJH57 »

Simon H wrote:The VDK is the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, the German war graves organisation. You can search there
Thanks Simon, appreciate the link. But apparently it is only a database of registered graves, not a complete KIA list. I did a test search on Klidi Pass hero "GERHARD PLEISS", well known 1.Kompanie Chef, I Battalion, 1.SS Panzergrenadier Regiment, "LAH", killed on 17 November 1941, buried in Taganrog. The search returned no result. So I assume not all - if any - Eastern Front KIA's and buried in Russia are registered ? Nor does it give any unit information for the KIA ?