II SS Panzer Corps October 1944

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
zeigler

II SS Panzer Corps October 1944

Post by zeigler »

When did they leave Holland? Were there elements still left in Holland by mid october? If so were they equiped with winter equipment such as parkas?
Reenacting Regiment 24 "Danmark" in the Swedish group FHF
http://www.reenactor.se
John W. Howard

Re: II SS Panzer Corps October 1944

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Zeigler:
According to Wilhelm Tieke in IN THE FIRESTORM..... There were still elements of II. SS-Panzerkorps still in Holland in mid-October. On October 1, 1944 units of the 9.SS PzD started transferring to the area of Siegen-Altkirchen to refit. But the 10.SS PzD remained in Holland until it started to transfer to Germany on November 19, 1944, where it was assigned to the 5th Panzer Army in the vicinity of Aachen. I have no idea if they had parkas, but both divisions had been in the Soviet Union in the early spring and may have been assigned parkas there; not sure if they would have still had them in Holland, had they ever been issued.
Best wishes.
John W. Howard
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

Many thanks! Do you think some units of the 10:SS were called into frontline action during that time? Or was it just refitting all the way?
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Zeigler:
Memebers of the 10.SS PzD did see action in Holland during October of 1944. They participated in heavy fighting between October 1 to October 4 in the area of Elst, Vergert, Bemmel, and Heuvel. On October 5 the 10. SS PzD was on the defensive along the Kanal de Linge. On October 9/10 the 10.SS PzD pulled back in a phased withdrawl to the areas of Huissen, Angeren, Doornenburg, where they started refitting while holding bridgeheads. On October 24 the 10. SS PzD was ordered to send a Kampfgruppe to help repel a British offensive in the 15th Army sector. On October 25/26 KG Traupe was formed( one battalion each from SS PzGr Reg. 21 and 22) and took up positions in a bridgehead on the Maas River north of Hertogenbosch. KG Traupe was sent to reinforce a bridge head at Waalwijk. KG Traupe stayed in this vicinity until November 10, when it was pulled back to Arnhem to join the rest of the 10.SS PzD. I hope this helped.
John W. Howard
zeigler

Post by zeigler »

It helped me very very much for the scenario in the upcoming reenactment event this weekend! Im very gratefull!! Thank you sir! :up: :up: :up:
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

You are Very welcome 8)
John W. Howard
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Hu John,
Regarding German Forces in Holland october 44:
In that time there was a SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl.16 stationed in Holland under command of SS Major Sepp Kraft. This Battalion was renamed Batl. Kraft and became operational on the 17.9.1944 against airborne troops.

Sepp Kraft mentioned that on the 17.9.44 22.00 hours that he didn't knew there was a II.SS-Panzer-Korps in Holland and mentioned/referred to the book of Cornelius Ryan Germand edition page 109/110. Bad german communications or something else ?

Rene
http://www.luchtoorlog.net
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Rene:
That is very interesting!! I am not sure how long II. SS Pz. Korps had been in Holland before the airborne landings, but one would think that Sepp Kraft would have known of their presence. Bad communications or excellent security by II. SS Pz Korps. Let me see what Tieke has to say. Best wishes and welcome to Feldgrau 8)
John W. Howard
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Thank you John.
Just came along your website searching for some Kriegsmarine control and command structures.
I maintain a website regarding the airwar in Holland in 40-45 (http://www.luchtoorlog.net) specializing in german control , reporting and command systems in that time.
I have a letter from Sepp Kraft from after the war and signed by him. I will send it to you by mail.
Rene
Die Blechtrommel
Supporter

Post by Die Blechtrommel »

Hello, everyone!
Any maps available for the period on-line? :roll:

Cheers
Juha-Pekka :[]
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Rene:
I checked Tieke and he makes no mention of Sepp Kraft not knowing II. SS Pz Korps was in the area on September 17, 1944. It must have been a pleasant surprise for Kraft to find out the Korps was around to help repel the Allied forces. I look forward to seeing Kraft's letter. Best wishes.

Hello Die Blechtrommel:
There used to be a highly regarded website called "Defending Arnhem" which dealt with Market-Garden; you might Google it and see if it is still up and running. If I find a link to it, I will post it for you. It should have good maps. Best wishes. Just found the site and it does have maps; www.defendingarnhem.com I hope this helps!!
John W. Howard
Die Blechtrommel
Supporter

Post by Die Blechtrommel »

John W. Howard wrote:There used to be a highly regarded website called "Defending Arnhem" which dealt with Market-Garden;
Thanks, John. Now that you mentioned it, I remembered I have the site in my bookmarks totally forgotten! :D :oops:

Regards
Juha-Pekka :up:
“Die Blechtrommel trommelt noch !!“
ReneV

Post by ReneV »

Hello John,
Here is the letter (3 pages) from Sepp Kraft.
Source: NIMH The Hague/part archive: Tiemens Marketgarden.
I hope it will solve another part of the puzzle.
rgds
Rene
http://www.luchtoorlog.net
SeppKraft1.jpg
SeppKraft1.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 8219 times
SeppKraft2.jpg
SeppKraft2.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 8219 times
SeppKraft3.jpg
SeppKraft3.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 8219 times
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Thank you for posting this Rene; very interesting!!
John W. Howard