march 1945, what SS unit ?

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
lennardg
Supporter

march 1945, what SS unit ?

Post by lennardg »

Does anyone have a clue to what SS unit on these pictures ?
They are from a german newsreal of 3. march 1945, and they are fighting the russians (destroyed T34´s are seen later), obviously they are SS-men but they have no cuff-titles, and the location must be somewhere in Germany ("apotheke und drogerie" it says in the background in the first photo), I guess that rules out Hungary, could it be East-Prussia ?

Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Hi Lennardg!

I saw this videoclip several times and from what I can remember at least the lower one shows the Leibstandarte (KC holder Hans Malkomes) during their transffer to Hungary in 1945. I'm not so sure about the first one, is it from the same newsreal as the second one.
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

I agree with Marko, that looks to be Malkomes in the lower photo, and obviously it shows an SS-Panzer unit. The upper photo, and your mention of destroyed T-34s, reminds me of some still photos I have seen of SS-Fallschirmjäger Bataillon 600 from the fighting at Schwedt and then Zheden along the Oder River in February and March 1945. With them were elements of Skorzeny's SS-Jagdverbände (mainly SS-JV Mitte), but the press seemed to focus on the SS-FJ Batt. 600, which knocked out numerous tanks in close combat. See Munoz's Forgotten Legions for details, and a newpaper clipping.
lennardg
Supporter

Post by lennardg »

Experts-at-your-mouse click
- That´s Feldgrau.net for you !
thanks a lot guys.
joscha
WWII Vet

Apotheke und.....

Post by joscha »

This picture may have been taken somewhere in Austria, probably in the Eastern parts, like the Burgenland province.

The architectural style is typically Austrian and this makes me think that, perhaps, Eisenstadt was the city in which this picture was taken. And that would be just West of Hungary.

No guarantee, just my (hopefully) educated guess. Joscha
Panthers

Re: march 1945, what SS unit ?

Post by Panthers »

lennardg wrote:Does anyone have a clue to what SS unit on these pictures ?
They are from a german newsreal of 3. march 1945, and they are fighting the russians (destroyed T34´s are seen later), obviously they are SS-men but they have no cuff-titles, and the location must be somewhere in Germany ("apotheke und drogerie" it says in the background in the first photo), I guess that rules out Hungary, could it be East-Prussia ?

After a failed couter offensive by Sixth Ss panzerarmee to recapture the oilfeilds at lake Balatan,Hitler ordered all Ss units involved to remove their cuff bands
Panthers

Post by Panthers »

After a failed couter offensive by Sixth Ss panzerarmee to recapture the oilfeilds at lake Balatan,Hitler ordered all Ss units involved to remove their cuff bands
Warager

Post by Warager »

Goebbels wrote in his diary:
The Führer has decided to make an example of the SS formations. He has commissioned Himmler to fly to Hungary to remove their armbands [...] The indignation of the SS commanders in the field can well be imagined and Kraemer, Dietrich's chief-of-staff, suggested asking Führer headquarters wether the armbands of the men killed between the Plattensee and the Danube should also be removed [...]"

In the end, Himmler was probably to afraid to fly to Hungary and appear among the Waffen-SS men, and the order was never carried out. The order, however, did not go unnoticed, and it was understood that Dietrich said he'd sooner shoot himself than carry out such an order.
bigun1_6605

Post by bigun1_6605 »

I heard somewhere that when some of the SS personnel heard the order they put their cuff-bands and the arm of a corpse in a latrine bucket and sent them to Berlin. Old rumor.
Alan Cagle
Paulchen

Post by Paulchen »

I have to agree that this photo is from Eastern Austria.. the timing (March '45) seems about right for that.

Also, which (if any) Luftwaffe units were deployed in the Lake Balaton / Vienna area during March and April of 1945?
Tolga Alkan
Supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan »

I'm sorry to be late.I asked second footage several times ago in numarous community such as AHF,Das Ritterkreuz etc.He is Hans Malkomes most of the people said to me.Interestingly I have seen both footage in a documentary concerning of Battle of Bulge.I'm not sure about where is the location.
The only laws of matter are those our mind must fabricate,And the only laws of mind are fabricated by matter.
Tolga Alkan
Supporter

Post by Tolga Alkan »

Paulchen wrote:I have to agree that this photo is from Eastern Austria.. the timing (March '45) seems about right for that.

Also, which (if any) Luftwaffe units were deployed in the Lake Balaton / Vienna area during March and April of 1945?
If you have chance to look at Georg Maier's "Drama between Budapest and Vienna",I suppose you will get the answers.Personally I don't own the book but have heard about it's reputation.Maier was top officer in both LSSAH staff and the Sixth Army which saw action in mention area.
The only laws of matter are those our mind must fabricate,And the only laws of mind are fabricated by matter.
Paulchen

Post by Paulchen »

Tolga Alkan wrote:
Paulchen wrote:I have to agree that this photo is from Eastern Austria.. the timing (March '45) seems about right for that.

If you have chance to look at Georg Maier's "Drama between Budapest and Vienna",I suppose you will get the answers.Personally I don't own the book but have heard about it's reputation.Maier was top officer in both LSSAH staff and the Sixth Army which saw action in mention area.
Tolga,
I looked into that book and it is quite expensive. Hopefully I will find a cheap one for sale. Thank you for suggesting it to me. It looks like it will be very informative.

Danke sehr, P
Hardigan

Post by Hardigan »

Marko wrote:Hi Lennardg!

I saw this videoclip several times and from what I can remember at least the lower one shows the Leibstandarte (KC holder Hans Malkomes) during their transffer to Hungary in 1945. I'm not so sure about the first one, is it from the same newsreal as the second one.
It's not Malkomes on the train , it's RKT SS-Hstuf. Richard Utgenannt from the PzAbt. of 4.SS-Polz.Div.

Hardigan

berlin

Post by berlin »

Panthers wrote:

the picturs ar from the eastern front 1945 near Frankfurt /oder
all the best berlin