Waffen SS Veterans meet Russian Veterans at Prokhorovka 1993

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Dutto1
Supporter

Waffen SS Veterans meet Russian Veterans at Prokhorovka 1993

Post by Dutto1 »

Hi,

I am researching Operation Zitadelle.During my research i came upon a a BBC Documentary called Timewatch,it was broadcast in September 1993.During the the documentary Waffen SS veterans met up with Russian Veterans at Prokhorovka.It was quite amazing that 50 years on to see veterans in such a terrible war meet up.One of the Waffen SS veterans who spoke to the documentary crew was the late Heinz Macher of Das Reich.
My query is was this reunion between former foes the first of its kind,and which other personalities were present ?

Many Thanks in advance,

Regards

Ron
Dutto1
Supporter

Re: Waffen SS Veterans meet Russian Veterans at Prokhorovka 1993

Post by Dutto1 »

Bump
Steve Shock

Post by Steve Shock »

No, meetings between former foes is not uncommon. I have been to the Ulrichsberg memorial and although the press and leftist politicians try to paint it as some kind of Neo-Nazi event you will see veterans of many nations there, not just Germans and Austrians. I have seen American, British, Italian, French, and other veterans there as well. Many veterans, particularly those of the submarine and air forces, have always met at various events.
fridgeman
Supporter

Post by fridgeman »

These veterans meetings are not new. From the early 1920s on, Verdun saw often "combat site tourism",
often german soldiers or veterans alliances who wanted to remember of the comrades.
During that time, several meetings of french and german veterans alliances were held, to remember
together the dead of the war.
Dutto1
Supporter

Post by Dutto1 »

Hi

Very valid points Gentlemen ! I think why i am curious about this meeting is that it took place between Waffen SS and Red Army veterans.While im aware of many meetings since then this meeting was took place a couple of years after the fall of the USSR.During the days of the USSR German Cemeteries etc were left to rot and i don t think any veterans from the German or Russian side would have met.
Fast forward to now and over the last 20 years or so it is not uncommon for ex adversaries to meet at Volksbund cemeteries that have sprung up all over Russia.

During the 1993 meeting Heinz Macher and his comrades laid a wreath dedicated to the fallen of both sides,the veterans chatted and toasted each other it was all very pleasant.During the days of the USSR this would never have happend.

Regards

Ron