Found pictures of my grandfather

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
stevedad

Found pictures of my grandfather

Post by stevedad »

I have found some pictures of my grandfather, since my mother has reciently passed, and was looking for some information. One is their wedding picture and one is just of him. He passed away in the '70's and had only met him once. My parents were pretty tight lipped as to what he did in the war. I do know that he was a prisoner of war from '45 to '48 (I have some prisoner of war letters also) in Nuerenburg. His name was Johannes Kurt Graupner or Kurt Graupner. My German is not the best anymore and I find it hard to read the letters in his writing. I have more pictures and letters but don't know what is needed. Thanks for any information.
scan0004.jpg
scan0004.jpg (274.74 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (370.19 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Ostküste

Re: Found pictures of my grandfather

Post by Ostküste »

Hi Stevedad,

In the first pic your grandfather holds the rank of SS-Rottenführer in the Waffen SS.

The second picture shows him with the rank of SS-Scharführer in the Allgemeine-SS.
The M12 collar tab shows he served in Motorstandarte 12
. These specialized units were downgraded as the para military/internal security SS units rose in importance with the consolidation of the Nazi regime of state control.

You could try and see if he has any files held at NARA, if so these could hold some interesting information.

Hope this helps?

Ostküste
Marc Rikmenspoel
Enthusiast

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel »

There is a Kurt Graupner mentioned in John Moore's Führerliste, but hre was born in 1923 and was probably too young to be the man in the photos (would appears to be at least 25 circa 1937-40).
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Is he wearing the Occupation of Sudetanland w/Prague bar ribbon in the first picture?
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

sniper1shot is correct!