The Camps, Einsatzgruppen, and Waffen SS

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: The Camps, Einsatzgruppen, and Waffen SS

Post by phylo_roadking »

How many commissioned officers in the Waffen-SS officer cadre from 1939 to 1945?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
stcamp

Post by stcamp »

phylo_roadking wrote:How many commissioned officers in the Waffen-SS officer cadre from 1939 to 1945?
Or how many from 1933 to 1939?

My guess is not a lot as there were only a handful of regiments. The Waffen-SS role was supposed to be counter-coup units an eventually integrated with the Police. I believe there were no plans to make them the equivalent of Wehrmacht units as far as capabilities until after 1941. Their deployment in Poland, France, etc. was to give them credibility by the shedding of blood on the field of battle.

Steve
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Indeed. And add the two figures TOGETHER, and factor McLean's 569 back as a percentage, it will reduce the overall percentage even further... :?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I have identified over 26,000 officers of the Waffen-SS from period documents. They are all listed in my "Führerliste der Waffen-SS" publication.

John
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

So - at a rough calculation that's...2%
What a historically inaccurate statement. Maclean clearly shows that the Waffen-SS were heavily linked into the camps.
Terry - what's YOUR definition of "heavily linked"? TWO PERCENT is not "heavily linked".
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Is Terry still here?

PK
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Oh, yeah, I see that he described something I wrote as historically inaccurate. Unlike Terry Goldsworthy, who seems prone to making the facts fit the narrative, I tend to base my statements on facts. The historical record indicates that Waffen-SS men involved in mass-murder were in the minority. Moreover, Waffen-SS men who served in the camps were not necessarily involved in mass-murder. There was a distinct difference between concentration camps and death camps.

Moderator's note - a further post and a half has been removed. The matter for discussion is NOT war crimes of half a century or more ago - it's the discussion of the degree to which the Waffen-SS was or was not involved, did or did not have knowledge of them.

This thread is actually getting somewhere with numbers etc. - and is not going to be closed at this point...unless it veers off-topic again. At that point there will be no use in keeping it open, for various parties have to date showed they cannot remain on the topic being discussed. Remember - though this is NOT in the War Crimes section - it IS being constrained to the same rules because of its overlap with that section.
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

I was about to post a couple of personal histories of Waffen-SS men who served in camps and frontline units, for general interest, but I think I will bow out. Two threads related to this topic in general, into which members put a lot of effort, have already been deleted and this one appears to be earmarked for similar treatment so there doesn't seem to be much point in wasting the time and effort. I also object to being addressed as if I were a child by someone who doesn't sign his name. I mean, the moderator of this section is Mark Yerger but I don't think Mark is doing this.

PK
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

This thread is being locked temporarily. Tom expressed some concerns some time ago as to whether he should have opened it but was persuaded not to close it, with the proviso agreed that very strict policing would be applied.

Sadly, it now appears very few posters interested enough in the subject were able to keep on the topic of the thread; and there are VERY strict guidelines about how discussions on war crimes subjects will be conducted. One member of the forum has had his account deactivated pending a decision on his future on the board as a result of matters arising out of this thread, and Moderators would regret to have to extend that for want of others being unable to respect the Forum's stated rules.
Domen123
Enthusiast

Post by Domen123 »

Documentary - 40 minutes long - with testimonies of Polish Jews concerning their wartime experiences:

English subtitles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOsfc-RgwZ0