SS-Polizei-Bataillon

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Stormman
Supporter

SS-Polizei-Bataillon

Post by Stormman »

Hallo
I'm doing some research on a SS-Polizei-Bataillon.
The "Gliederung" was like a Polizei-Bataillon z.b.V., does somebody know wich "Gliederung" or OoB this is?
Was a SS-Polizei-Bataillon part of the SiPo, OrPo or Waffen-SS? What kinde of uniform did the men of such a Bataillon had?
CARNARO

Post by CARNARO »

Hello

About what Polizei-Bataillon are you looking for infos?

Polizei-Bataillone (and Regiments) were part of Ordnungpolizei, not Waffen-SS, nor Sipo.
The prefix SS was an "honorific" title only, but units remained part of Ordnungspolizei till the end of war. They answered (generically) to Hauptamt-Orpo.
Effectively some of the policemen had SS-ranks also - but a little part only: probably no more than 20-25% of the officiers, and lot less within the troops.
Expecially till the end of 1940, battalions were formed almost exclusively with reservists not always suitable for front-line service and with policemen on active service, detached from the Reviere of the Polizeiverwaltungen all over the Germany.
Then from late 1940, a new Welle of recently-formed battalions (series +300), formed with youngest recruits, began to entered in service.
Mostly of them were used on russian front from June 1941 on.

Usually Polizei-Bataillone were organized on Bataillon-Stab, 4 companies (three from spring 1941) and a Kraftfahrzeugstaffel.
Later - and in particular cases only - little sub-units as Pz-Jg-Zug, Granatenwerfer-Zug, Reiter-Zug were added, but basically they remained regimental units, and by the regiment-Stab they were assigned to the battalions, without t formally become part of the same battalions.
Polizei-Regiment were formed - mostly - on July 1942, basically with three battalions each.

The term ZbV (or zur besondere Verwendung) was some times used in connection with the tasks of the battalions and was not related with the structure (basically from Spring 1941 till the end of war PB's remained organized on three companies). Expecially from spring 1942, tasks were security and anti-partisans op's: but at least till late 1942, absolutely fundamental remained the involvment of the bataillons in anti-jewish persecution.

Max
mightythor99
Enthusiast

these police units are a little tricky.....................

Post by mightythor99 »

what the other guy said is true. ordnungspolizei were generally slightly older, but "healthy",...........they earned sports badges, etc, and had to be fairly athletic, but generally, were slightly older,........ie, 30 or so, vs. 18-20 for army recruits. lots of city police were added to these units.
they were under the larger umbrella of the SS, and, were smart, in that many, or most of them actually carried two sets of id's,...........one "real" one, and one showing that they were snow white, just being forced to be a cop out here,..........if they were captured.
if, they, indeed were captured,...........if they did not get rid of the original id, they were in trouble, as it said and showed exactly who, and were, they had been.
likewise, once they were captured,............and used the "new" id,..........they completely took over that persona. i have interviewed several of them, and these are things they said, "in common", but only when asked specifically. the "old" guy, might have been considered a war criminal, and they definitely dont want to admit anything like that. they kept the new identity, long after the war was over,..............if not for the rest of their lives. the latter is the case for the two that i interviewed.
as for uniforms,................they wore german police uniforms. sometimes out in the fronts, they might be in regular army uniforms, with police insignia, due to shortages, but in general, they wore the standard police uniforms, with dark cuffs.
hope that helps!

does anyone know if there is a good book, to look up police units, or to see which units served where, etc?
thanks!!
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi,

I know some of the "named" SS Polizei Kompanie, Bataillon and Regiment

SS-Polizei Regiment "Suedtyroler" (Bozen)
SS-Polizei Regiment "Riga"
SS-Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Fiume"
SS-Polizei-Bataillon 'Flandern'
SS-Polizei Kompanie 'Norwegen'
SS-Polizei Bataillon "Ostland"

Regards
Panzermahn
drapeau noir

Post by drapeau noir »

panzermahn wrote:Hi,

I know some of the "named" SS Polizei Kompanie, Bataillon and Regiment

SS-Polizei Regiment "Suedtyroler" (Bozen)
SS-Polizei Regiment "Riga"
SS-Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Fiume"
SS-Polizei-Bataillon 'Flandern'
SS-Polizei Kompanie 'Norwegen'
SS-Polizei Bataillon "Ostland"

Regards
Panzermahn
The correct names of OZAK and OZAV SS-Pol.Btl. were

OZAV
SS-Polizei Regiment "Suedtirol" later renamed "Bozen
SS-Polizei Regiment "Brixen"
SS-Polizei Regiment "Schlanders"
SS-Polizei Regiment "Alpenvorland"

OZAK
Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Triest"
Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Udine"
Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Goerz"
Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Pola"
Freiwilligen Polizei Bataillon "Fiume"
mightythor99
Enthusiast

has anyone ever seen a police tank??

Post by mightythor99 »

i have a photo in my collection, of a german tank, with a police eagle painted in the middle, of the front of the tank!
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!