Occupation of latvian and estonian ports by German troops 1

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
MDZ

Occupation of latvian and estonian ports by German troops 1

Post by MDZ »

Occupation of latvian and estonian ports by German troops 1941

With my work to the Baltic ships I place with the date of the occupation of Libau, Windau, Riga, Pernau, Tallinn etc. different data to indicate again and again again and again firmly the partial 5 days will apart lie. Does someone have perhaps exact data to the whole ports?

Thank you

Theo

Besetzung lettischer und estnischer Häfen durch deutsche Truppen 1941

Bei meiner Arbeit zu den baltischen Schiffen stelle ich immer wieder fest das beim Datum der Besetzung von Libau, Windau, Riga, Pernau, Tallinn usw. immer wieder verschiedene Daten angeben werde die teilweise 5 Tage auseinander liegen.
Hat Jemand zu den ganzen Häfen vielleicht genaue Daten ?

Vielen Dank

Theo
cpa95
Contributor

Post by cpa95 »

Hi,

Libau was taken on 28.6.1941, after heavy fights from 24.6. to 27.6. (Geschichte der 291. ID, Haupt-Baltikum 1941, KTB Halder und SKL).

Windau was taken on 1.7.1941 (KTB- war diary of Seekriegsleitung, same day).

The southern part of Riga was reached by Vorausabteilungen of I. AK on 29.6.1941, Kampfgruppe Lasch (AA 1, 11, 21, III./IR 43, schwereArtAbt. 536, 1 Komp. FlaAbt. 604, immediatly followed by RadfahrKomp. IR 43, PzJABt. 1, I./IR 1.
Riga was secured on 1.7.1941. (Richter, Die 1. ID).

Reval was taken by the 61.ID and 217. ID on 28.8.1941. The city hall was secured 1.30 pm by II./IR 151
(Haupt, Baltikum 1941, and Hubatsch, 61. ID).

Greetings
Thomas
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi MDZ,

I was about to recommend you contact Theodor Dorgeist, but I suspect you might already know of him!

As a matter of interest, do you know where I could find a copy of his "Uberfall von Fernando Po"?

Many thanks,

Sid.
Mattias Rönnblom
Supporter

Re: Occupation of latvian and estonian ports by German troops 1

Post by Mattias Rönnblom »

According to Sturmgeschütze - Die Panzer der Infanterie (Kurowski, p38) Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 185 drove through Riga and a platoon from this unit crossed the Daugava (Dvina) river on a Russian pontoon bridge. The Stug platoon was commanded by Oblt Geissler. The StuGs together with some assault engineers (with flame throwers) were cut off on the far shore as the bridge was destroyed. The StuG battalion entered the western outskirts of Riga at 10:20, but its unclear which day. Any educated guesses? One way of reading my source would be to say 22 June, but Riga is so far away from the 22 June front so I don't see how that could be possible.

Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 185 acted flank protection for Kampfgruppe Lasch on 22 June, but it's unclear if they were indeed a part of this Kampfgruppe or not.
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

Mattias Rönnblom wrote:The StuG battalion entered the western outskirts of Riga at 10:20, but its unclear which day.
StuGs were part of Voraus-Regiment of I.A.K., unfortunately cpa95 does not mention them in post above. But date given for Voraus-Rgt. entering Riga is confirmed by primary sources, so there is no need for "educated guesses".
Mattias Rönnblom
Supporter

OK, I see. Thank you.

Where there any assault engineer unit within this Kampfgruppe?
Mattias Rönnblom
Supporter

http://www.feldgrau.com/dreichsbahn.html says that the railway bridge was destroyed on 2 July. My source mention this bridge being destroyed too, at the same time as the pontoon bridge StuGs had just crossed. There could have been > 1 railway bridge at that time, of course. Does anyone know if there were?

Another thing, does anyone know which Russian units where defending this area? From what I can tell from
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/ ... y10_41.jpg
it's either 10th or 67th Rifle Divisions.
andrus
Supporter

Post by andrus »

Mattias Rönnblom wrote:Where there any assault engineer unit within this Kampfgruppe?
Copied from my old post:

On 29.06.1941 at 3:10 started from Bausk:

1. Voraus: mot Marschgruppe Major Helbig
Führer: Major Helbig, Voraus-Abt. 11
Truppe: 10./I.R.43 mit unterstelltem s.M.G.Zg. 12./I.R.43
1 Zug 14./I.R.43
3 Geschütze 2./Fla-Btl. 604
3./Sturmgesch.Abt.185 (ohne 1 Zug)
1 Zug 3./(mot.)-Pi.-Btl.21
Auftrag: Ohne Rücksicht auf die Marschgeschwindigkeit des Regts. nach Riga durchzustossen und nach Möglichkeit die Dünabrücken unversehrt in eigene Hand zu bringen.

2. Marschgruppe Källner
Führer: Oberstleutnant Källner, Voraus-Abt.11
Truppe: a) Vorhut: V.A.11 und 2 Züge Sturmgesch. Abt.185
b) Gros: III/I.R.43 (ohne verst. 10. Komp)
Stab Sturmgesch. Abt.185
2 Züge Sturmgesch. Abt.185
s.Art.Abt.536
2./Fla-Btl.604
14./I.R.43 (ohne 1 Zug)
Radf.Btl.402
Auftrag: Der mot. Gruppe so schnell wie möglich zu folgen und in Riga die Brücken nach Westen abzuschirmen.

3. Marschgruppe Matussik
Führer: Oberstleutnant Matussik, Voraus-Abt.21
Truppe: V.A.21
V.A.1
3 Sturmgeschütze 2./Sturmgesch.Abt.185
Auftrag: Hinter Marschgruppe Källner zu folgen, um bei Stockungen des Vormarsches von Jecava über Klapi auszuholen.

they arrived into western part of Riga at 10:20.

over bridge (unspecified which one!) got:
5 Sturmgeschütze, 3 Geschütze Fla-Btl.604, 1 Pak, einige Schützengruppen und Pioniere

Pontonbrücke and Strassenbrücke were blow up, railway bridge was damaged.
that the railway bridge was destroyed on 2 July
My source says that railway bridge was blown up on 30.06.1941 at 2:00
this is confirmed by fact that germans occupied eastern part of Riga on 1.07.1941.
Another thing, does anyone know which Russian units where defending this area? From what I can tell from
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/rkkaww2/ ... y10_41.jpg
it's either 10th or 67th Rifle Divisions.
It's not so simple - after advance unit broke into Riga, every soviet unit west of Riga was basically trapped (don't believe empty white area on drawing :D ). I'm not aware how many were able to cross Dvina.
Mattias Rönnblom
Supporter

Excellent, thank you.

I learned from a Russian site that the Russian attack was performed (at least in part) by 5th NKVD motorized rifle battalion, including a number of BT tanks.

Is (mot.)-Pi.-Btl.21 the 21st Infantry Division's organic pioneer battalion? What references I've found to it does not mention it being motorized.