Wilhelm Gustloff Anniversary

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Cunard-WhiteStarLine
Supporter

Wilhelm Gustloff Anniversary

Post by Cunard-WhiteStarLine »

Exactly 68 years ago to the minute (running on Eastern time) the Wilhelm Gustloff sank beneath the waves in the Baltic Sea nearly killing 10,000 people. A horrible tragedy everyone should hear of and no one should forget. :[]
John W. Howard

Re: Wilhelm Gustloff Anniversary

Post by John W. Howard »

Amen to that.
John W. Howard
Ronald Lameck
Supporter

Post by Ronald Lameck »

And the submarine commander was awarded "Hero of the Soviet Union" for this deed. Makes the word "hero" rather meaningless, doesn't it?
B Hellqvist
Contributor

Post by B Hellqvist »

Ronald Lameck wrote:And the submarine commander was awarded "Hero of the Soviet Union" for this deed. Makes the word "hero" rather meaningless, doesn't it?
It's the "of the Soviet Union" that puts it in perspective...

While the sub captain couldn't know that there were that many civilians on board, there were enough legit military targets in the Baltic for any would-be Hero of the Soviet Union.
haen2
WWII Vet

Post by haen2 »

Cunard-WhiteStarLine wrote:Exactly 68 years ago to the minute (running on Eastern time) the Wilhelm Gustloff sank beneath the waves in the Baltic Sea nearly killing 10,000 people. A horrible tragedy everyone should hear of and no one should forget. :[]
My brother in law Piet Muller was among the few suvivors; He was being evacuated with frozen feet from the withdrawing Eastern front. Ironically a friend in the kriegsmarine, was on one of the the PT? boats that were combing the sea for them, while being under attack by the soviets during their SOS mission temselves. "Hero of the soviet union" indeed.
Both survived the war. The friend, I don't know how long, but my B.i.L. till the 1990's. Just a memory.
Haen
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
redcoat
Contributor

Post by redcoat »

Ronald Lameck wrote:And the submarine commander was awarded "Hero of the Soviet Union" for this deed. Makes the word "hero" rather meaningless, doesn't it?
His actions were no worse than those of a U-Boat commander, and a lot of them got medals.
if in doubt, PANIC !!!!