U-boats

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Chelski_03

U-boats

Post by Chelski_03 »

anyone know how many U-boats were scuttled off the Northern Ireland coast after the war ended ? and any of there numbers.
Cherrio, for now.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: U-boats

Post by phylo_roadking »

Here you go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Deadlight

The docks they're moored at still exist at Lisahally on the Foyle, and at the top of the pic on the left you can see Culmore Point - there's an old WWII coastal battery buried in there in an atrocious state now, a bit like Grey Point at Holywood was before they renovated it thirty years ago!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Depending where you live in Northern Ireland...
In the late nineties an approach was made to the British Ministry of Defence for salvage rights on the Operation Deadlight U-boats by a firm who planned to raise up to a hundred of them. Because the wrecks were constructed in the pre-atomic age, they contain metals which are not radioactively tainted and which are therefore valuable for certain research purposes. No salvage award was made due to objections from Russia and the USA, and it is now probable that the U-boats will remain under the sea.
...you MAY know the old knacker's yard/junkyard/sh1thole between Crawfordsburn and Helen's Bay?

The "firm" mentioned here was a one-man limited company the old farmer who owns that land formed. He had been trying for years to get planning permission for his 30 acres of land there, but because of a VERY longstanding argument with North Down Council about the state of his yards he was constantly refused!....

So he threatened to salvage some of the wrecks...plonk them on the farmland there!...salvage a few pounds of various metals, and let them rust away, making his eyesore even worse :shock:

IIRC he got his planning permission!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Chelski_03

Post by Chelski_03 »

Thank you for all the information on the U-boats scuttled and sunk off the coast of Northern Ireland.I had heard of plans to raise one of the boats a few years ago.Apparently it was the only one to have sunk intact,as the rest were either scuttled or used for target practice.I have worked down at Lisahally a few times and know now where they were moored,there is a power station there just beside Culmore point.I have also been at the fort in Helens Bay,I done some concrete repairs on the gun turrets about twenty odd years ago. Once again thanks for the info. :up:
Cherrio, for now.