KT 3 DXCD/LXCU

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
stevedore

KT 3 DXCD/LXCU

Post by stevedore »

Can anyone help me with the history of this vessel pre 1949/50. It eventually became the property of the British MOD and was used by the Royal Engineers as a training ship for Stevedores. This is the first time that I have used the site so I do hope that I have done the right thing in so much there should be an attachment showing the KT 3.
Attachments
kt3-b-EmpireStevedore.jpg
kt3-b-EmpireStevedore.jpg (217.7 KiB) Viewed 8996 times
phylo_roadking
Patron

Re: KT 3 DXCD/LXCU

Post by phylo_roadking »

Found this...
194? KT3, German Afrika Corps store ship
1949 EMPIRE STEVEDORE, Royal Engineers stevedore training ship at Marchwood, Hants.
and THIS history - in German only...
1942: Erbaut durch die Deutsche Werft, Hamburg Bau - Nr. 302

1942, 1.Juni: Kiellegung als Vorbauschiff der Serie.
1.Aug.: Stapellauf als KT 3 für die Kriegsmarine, Admiral der KMD Hamburg.
11.Sept.: Vom OKM der Firma Leth & Co., Hamburg zur Bereederung zugeteilt.
16.Sept.: Probefahrt als erstes fertige "Küstentransportschiff" mit deutschen und italienschen Admiralen an Bord. Anschließend Ablieferung des Schiffes und Übergabe an Leth & Co., Hamburg zur Bereederung.
13.Okt.: Die Erprobungsgruppe Kiel muß wegen Ruder- und Seeschäden die Erprobungen in der Kieler Bucht abbrechen.
2.Nov.: In Kopenhagen eingetroffen zu besonderen Erprobungs- und Testfahrten.
4.Nov.: Ausfall des Schiffes durch Rohr- und Kesselschaden.
8.Nov.: Zur Reparatur zur Neptunwerft in Rostock überführt. Nach der Reparatur zum Einsatz im Norwegenverkehr, vorwiegend Pendelverkehr Petsamo - Kirkenes gekommen.
1943, 18. Juni: Die KMD Hamburg schlägt dem OKM als Zielschiff für das Torpedoversuchs-kommando Eckernförde KT 3 vor. [ Kurzzeitig durchgeführt ? }
1944, 24. April: Lt. Reedereimeldung vor Norwegen durch Minentreffer beschädigt.
26.April: Als letztes Schiff im Geleitzug "Bodö 224" ( Ladung 250 ts Nickelerz und 2,3 ts alte Marinefahrzeuge) auf Pos. 66° N - 13°57 E durch 30 Flugzeuge angegriffen und nach Bombenvolltreffer in Luke 2 und umfangreichen Beschußschäden südlich Veösky ( bei Rösögstje ) auf Strand gesetzt ( brennend ?? ) und von der Besatzung verlassen. 10 Verletzte, 2 Flugzeuge abgeschossen (s. Dokumentenanhang). Nach Bergung der Waffen, Proviant und Ausrüstung später abgeschleppt und an geschützter Stelle bei Tustadsund neu auf Grund gesetzt. Dort wird die Ladung durch einen Greifbagger gelöscht, das Schiff vom Bergungsdampfer PARAT abgedichtet und nach Horten zur Reparatur geschleppt.
10.Juli: Nach Änderung der Reparaturwerft in Drontheim eingetroffen und beim KMA Drontheim in Reparatur genommen,
15.Nov.: Ende der Reparatur lt. Planung.
1945, 9.Mai: bei Kriegsende in Kopenhagen.
4.Juli: Auf britischen Befehl nach Hamburg ausgelaufen und dort wohl aufgelegt.
1946, 21.Okt.: Vom Germanischen Lloyd für Leth & Co., Hamburg eingetragen.
1949, Dez.: Von den Briten als Kriegsbeute beschlagnahmt.
1950, 31.Aug.: In Hamburg an die Royal Navy übergeben und für die Royal Engineers in Marchwood als Schulschiff EMPIRE STEVEDORE eingesetzt.

1953: Abbruch
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

David Habesch states in his book 'The Army's Navy (British Military Vessels and their history since Henry VIII)':-

Pg153
Originally a German ship, she had been involved in conveying weapons and munitions to General Franco's Nationalist forces during the Spanish Civil War......Unfortunately the author has been unable to to discover her original German name
Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi phylo_roadking

Thanks for your prompt reply to my enquiry, but unfortunately my knowledge of the german langauge is zilch. Do you know if there is anyone who uses the forum that could translate for me?
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Here's a rough school dictionary level job LOL She seems to have been more than a little unfortunate in her career - especially in her sea trials!!! I've put a couple of notations in in red...

1942: Built by the Deutsche Works, Hamburg, Construction No. 302

1.June: Keel laid as first vessel of its class.
1.Aug.: Launching of vessel as KT 3 for the Kriegsmarine, admiral of the KMD Hamburg.
11-September: Assigned by the OKM of the company Leth & CO., Hamburg to the Bereederung .
16.Sept.: Test run as the first manufactured " Küstentransportschiff" with German and Italian admirals on board. Subsequently, handing-over of the ship and delivery at Leth & CO., Hamburg to the Bereederung. Bereederung???
13.Oct.: The Kiel group of trials broken off in Kiel Bay because of rudder and sea damage.
2.Nov.: Arrived in Copenhagen for special test ??? and trial voyages.
4.Nov.: ship out of service because of tubing and boiler damage. Looks like she REALLY didn't like the "special test"!!!
8.Nov.: Transferred to the Neptune Works in Rostock for repairs. After repairs used on the Norway route, predominantly shuttle traffic Petsamo - Kirkenes.
18 June: The KMD Hamburg suggests as target ship for the torpedo attempt, by order Eckernförde KT 3 to the OKM. [Briefly accomplished? ] Have NO idea what this "torpedo attempt" refers to!
24 April: Shipping company message records she was damaged by mines enroute to Norway.
26.April: As last ship in the convoy " Bodö 224" (Cargo 250 tons Nickel and 2.3 tons old naval vehicles) attacked on pos. 66° N - 13°57 E by 30 airplanes and after a direct hit by a bomb in hatch 2 and extensive bombardment damage was beached on fire south of Veösky (with Rösögstje) and abandoned. 10 injured, 2 airplanes shot. After the ship's weapons, provisions and equipment were salvaged she was later towed and beached again in a safe location at Tustadsund. There the load (the nickel) was unloaded by grab excavator, the ship was made watertight by the salvage ship READY and towed to a protected repair yard.
10. July: After changes to the repair schedule she transferred to Drontheim for repairs at KMA Drontheim,
15.Nov.: Repairs completed on schedule.
9.May: In Copenhagen when the war ended.
4.July: On British orders steamed to Hamburg roads and most likely handed over to them there.
21.Oct.:Registered on the German Lloyd register as belonging to Leth & Co., Hamburg
Dec.: Seized by the British as war booty.
31.Aug.: Handed over in Hamburg to the Royal navy and used for the Royal Engineers in Marchwood as training ship EMPIRE STEVEDORE.

1953: Scrapped.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Regarding the "special test" - as the "class vessel" I presume she'd undergo max. performance trials etc. to set engine limts and speeds for the rest of the class. Obviously in THIS case on the 2nd of November she was "tested to destruction" all right if her boiler and steam lines burst!
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi phylo_roadking

To say that you only used "school dictionary level" translation it makes very good reading indeed. As you say I wonder what the "Special test" was all about, could it have been speed trials?. Looking at the swept back bow there is the possiblity. The word "bereedrung" I will have to look that one up, However she was not scrapped in 1953, as I did my training as a Steverdore on her in 1965 with the Royal Corps of Transport at Marchwood near Southampton.

If you happen to find any more information on her however small or remote I would be very thankful.

Cheers
Stevedore
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It COULD be that in 1953 she lost her seaworthiness certificate for insurance purposes??? I.E. "Struck off charge" When you did your training on her - did she ever leave the quayside?
stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi phylo_roadking

I did my training as a Stevedore in 1965/66. She was still alongside when I left for Singapore in1967, but had been replaced by another vessel on my return to Marchwood in 1969. Of the time I knew her, she never moved from alongside.

Cheers
Stevedore
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

We seem to have a discrepency in dates of construction.

My source states that this vessel undertook sailings during the Spanish Civil War, whereas yours states that the vessel wasn't constructed till 1942?

In regards to its service. The vessel was taken in hand by The Fleet Repair Branch and was kept in good repair but it never undertook any voyages. Its doesn't appear on either the 1952 or 1964 (TE/RASC/RCT) Fleet listings The Empire was replaced in 1969 by the vessel Marchwood Frieghter. Likewise this vessel never made any voyages.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Andy, here's the link I found the potted history on - with the pic in it for confirmation.

http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/miszellen/kt3.htm

I must say, it doesn't have 1930's lines!
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Phylo

Thanks for the link.

Though the book contains a Biblio, it has no specific notation in regards to the Empire. The author passed away in March last year so can't pursue that line, though know doubt his research must be gathering dust somewhere.

The vessel certainly looks like it could have been built in the 30's or earlier IMO

Regards

stevedore

Post by stevedore »

Hi Andy & phylo

This is becoming more interesting by the hour. In Andys defence I did hear that the vessel was involved in some sort of gun running, but for who, where and when, I was never informed. In phylo's defence, and if the information is correct I doubt if she got out of northern waters.
Again to both of you thanks for the info, and should any more information come to light I would much appreciate it.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Andy - still looks like 1942 tho'...

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8184&p=48057

See Peter K's first post in that;
Kriegstransporter (KT):
They were developped and built to strenghten the short German transport capacity in the Mediterranian and the Black sea *.
The developping building yard was Deutsche Werft Hamburg (only KT3), all the others were built in Italy (Genoa, Ancona, Riva Trigoso, Livorno), Austria (Linz, Korneuburg), Hungary (Obuda) and Sowjetunion (Nikolajev).
795/834 BRT, 700 t, 62,00/67,50, later 63,00/67,50 x 11,00 x 1,80/3,10 m, 2400 PSi, 14,5 kn, 160 t of coal, range 1250 nm,
2 triple expansion machines, 3, later only 2 boilers, crew 53, 2x7,5cm, 1x3,7cm, 2x2cm, 2MG
*- hardly a consideration BEFORE the war LOL
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Here's an Italian sister, the KT 1
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/42-12.htm

waleed