Sengwarden, 1./Sperrbecher Flottilla

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
NickFenton

Sengwarden, 1./Sperrbecher Flottilla

Post by NickFenton »

I am researching HSL 108 from Goreleston that was captured during a failed airsea rescue attempt on 1st/2nd July 1941.

The launch was recovered and taken to Borkum and then Wilhelmshaven from which point, l believe that it was renamed 'Sengwarden' as part of 1./Sperrbecher Flottilla.

During the war, HSL was seen in a German magazine by one of the surviving launch crew in German colors being used to pick up survivors from the 'Lobster pot' survival buoys along the Dutch coast between Wilhelshaven and Flushing (Vlissingen).

Can anyone help me with this research and add anything to the story.

Regards,

Nick
Waleed Y. Majeed
Patron

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed »

Hi there

There's a Danish site which mentions HSL 108 and a Stirling I N6013.
Søren C. Flensted might be of some help in finding other sources:

http://www.flensted.eu.com/194108.shtml

waleed
NickFenton

Post by NickFenton »

Thanks, Waleed.

I am aware of this site as my research centres around 1st July 1941 when my Father's Blenheim was shot down. It was his dingy that the Stirling was circling.

The crew of the HSL were recovered shortly after the Blenheim crew and HSL 108 was towed back and used after capture.

As you can see, there appears to be some history of the boat afterwards but mostly hearsay so l am trying to find out some facts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nick
NickFenton

Post by NickFenton »

From another source, l was told the boat was renamed Vorpostenboot VP 1108 and was sunk on 2nd August 1942, but l know this not to be so as VP 1108 was one of the tugs used to tow HSL 1087 into port.

I beleive that Sendwarden may have survived the conflict as l understand that a 100 class boat was pictured at Kiel or Whilshaven at the end of the war with the description 'E boat coming along side'.

Any ideas on this?

Nick